(1) 2 »
lusky lusky
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/1/2015 22:49
Novice with cloudy water HELP! #1
We bought my grandaughter (shes 2) a second hand aqua start 320 tank about 2 years ago. We've had nothing but trouble with the water becoming cloudy within days of the water being changed. This despite cleaning as often as needed. This can be required every 3 to 4 days. We've tried numerous filters and water products. What is going wrong? As a last resort and to start over we have just ordered a brand new tank (the same type as its a perfect size), filter and gravel and we plan to ditch anything that has come into contact with the old tank i.e. plastic plants,features etc.
As a novice fast running out of cash your advice would really be appreciated.
Cheers
Lusky
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/1/2015 11:01
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #2
Hi

Can you give us some more details so we try to can identify the problem for you?

First can you give us a list of all the fish you have in the tan, i.e. which species' and how many of each.

When you clean the tank can you run through exactly what you do?

When you change filters do you move the sponges from the existing filter into the new one or not?

Are you changing filter sponges at all or washing them out?

When you add fresh water to the tank do you always use a dechlorinator?
lusky lusky
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 23/1/2015 18:40
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #3
Hi Fishlady,
Firstly without seeming ignorant, I don't mean to be, they are ordinary gold fish. Three of them. When the tank is cleaned the water is changed, gravel rinsed, plastic features scrubbed. The water is also treated with stress coat and more recently crystal water. The filter sponges are changed not washed.
Thanks
Paul
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/1/2015 19:20
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #4
Hi

OK, there are a lot of problems here causing the cloudiness. Filters work by growing bacteria which "eat" the ammonia produced by the fish and convert it into less toxic chemicals. Two types of bacteria need to grow, one to convert ammonia to nitrite and the others to covert nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate is removed by regular partial water changes. It takes quite a while (weeks) for enough to grow to do this job so filter pads should be rinsed in tank water and reused, not changed as if you change them you go back to square one which not only causes the cloudiness you keep seeing, but also causes the fish to be burnt by the ammonia and have other health problems. Some of the bacteria lives in the gravel - washing the gravel destroys those too and changing all of the water at one go is yet another cause of bacterial blooms (the white cloud you see every time you clean the tank).

However, that is really the least of the problems as the tank is way too small to keep goldfish in and their own waste output is also contributing as the filter isn't adequate to cope, nor is there sufficient water volume. Ordinary common goldfish should be close to fully grown (10-12 inches long) at 2 years old, but I'm guessing these must have been stunted by the small tank as they literally should be too big to even fit in there by now.

To be honest, they need a much larger tank with the plan that after a year or so of conditions suitable for them to grow they are moved to a pond. Long term, they really aren't going to last in such a tiny tank and are currently suffering in there.

Have a look at this article which shows what I mean.
lusky lusky
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 23/1/2015 19:39
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #5
I hear what you say and I'm amazed! Surely if this is the case then surely thousands of pet shops the length and breadth of the country are selling goldfish without providing adequate advice. If you asked 99 percent of the average population they would state that a goldfish would be approximately 1 to 2 inches long and ideally suited as a family pet because an average tank is small compact and easy to locate. I've never heard of a goldfish growing to a foot long but I bow to your experience. Unfortunately a larger tank isn't feasible. I will continue to try and treat the fish the best I can and look after them to the best of my ability. The last thing I want is a pet suffering.
Your advice has been appreciated and taken on board some of it will be put into practice.
Thank you
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 24/1/2015 10:48
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #6
Quote:

lusky wrote:
Surely if this is the case then surely thousands of pet shops the length and breadth of the country are selling goldfish without providing adequate advice.

I'm afraid you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 24/1/2015 14:16
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #7
That's exactly the issue - there ARE thousands of pet shops across the length and breadth of the country providing inaccurate "advice" regarding goldfish well-being. This is an issue as a fancy goldfish keeper that I don't see improving unfortunately, I mean they still give away goldfish as prizes at fairgrounds FFS, you wouldn't see them giving away cichlids but that's because goldfish are still treated as disposable "ten a penny" pets which is a cruel (and not to mention uneducated) attitude towards a living animal.

You have said you are going to treat the fish to the best of your ability, I can assure you that by continuing to keep them in their current state you are not treating the fish to their best of your ability and the fish are suffering.

But hey it's only a goldfish right?
johnny n johnny n
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 25/1/2015 21:21
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #8
My honest opinion is that pet shops are much more interested in selling the hardware (tank etc) than the couple of quid they make on the livestock.

When I read your post I thought '320 L tank, amazing' Just googled it and found out its a 28L tank. That's insanely small and sadly the fish will die in pretty short order. (they give off ammonia, which is toxic to them, same way we breath out carbon dioxide, which will kill us if we don't have a big enough volume of air)

Might be best to find a pond for the goldfish, and get a bigger tank, with smaller type of fish !
lusky lusky
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 28/1/2015 20:20
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #9
I'm positive you know your stuff but don't EVER treat me like a child. No its not JUST a goldfish! Perhaps you should read the title " novice" that's the clue, you've done little to promote the hobby. For the record I bought a new tank,filter and all the kit that I could. Perhaps not good enough in your eyes but never the less I tried. The tank is clean the fish ARE alive and I do not want them to suffer. I guess as I'm doing everything wrong I could take them to the toilet!. You've made me very cross. If this is how you offer advice to newbies then take your group and shove it up your ariator. Or be a little more sympathetic to those who are newbies and ignorant to the hobby.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 29/1/2015 1:58
Re: Novice with cloudy water HELP! #10
Everyone starts out like this, getting bad advice from fish shop/starting with goldfish in a bowl.

I don't think anyone is treating you like a child, most people here really care about animal welfare

The best thing you can do is actually return the fish or find someone with a pond to keep them. Or you will need a 300l tank at LEAST for all of them.

I strongly recommend that you start with some smaller fish in a 60l to 100l tank. It won't be too big to have a lot of work and also not too small to adjust the water parameters