MrWonka MrWonka
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/1/2015 13:11
Painting the back of your tank #1
Hi all.

Has anyone out there ever painted the back of their tank ?

I have a black background which just lifts off when it feels like it, just want to know if there is a certain type of paint to use or just acrylic tubes of paint, looking to turn it black...so any advice would be great

Thanks in advance
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 12/1/2015 15:11
Re: Painting the back of your tank #2
I used black vinyl wrap (sold by car places on ebay) to cover the back of mine, you make it stick by spraying a mixture of water & washing up liquid onto it and then stick it to the back of the tank - you can then move it around, you'll also need to get rid of the air bubbles by smoothing over with a c/c.

Mine has never come off, but it you change your mind it does peel off if you are committed enough - would be less drastic / toxic than paint and would help it's re-sale value if you ever wanted rid of it.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/1/2015 15:26
Re: Painting the back of your tank #3
I use floor paint on mine - the sort used for concrete floors. Apply with a roller for a smooth finish. No need to worry about toxicity if it's done on an empty tank. If the tank already has fish and they can't be moved while you do it, then vinyl as suggested by maccy_g will do a good job. My big tank has a black vinyl background which was applied at the factory when the tank was made and it looks really good.
MrWonka MrWonka
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 13/1/2015 11:26
Re: Painting the back of your tank #4
Thanks for the replies.
I'm only going to paint the rear outside of the tank glass, so no problems with toxicity, don't think tinting is an option as tank is going through its fishless cycle and far too heavy to move and have little access to rear.

Going to try some acrylic paint and a small roller at the weekend, ill let you know how it goes lol
Bouncinsheep Bouncinsheep
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 13/1/2015 21:28
Re: Painting the back of your tank #5
Toxicity includes vapours which may transfer to your tank when painting the outside.
[img align=center]http://www.fishkeeping.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 14/1/2015 19:43
Re: Painting the back of your tank #6
I just use 2 or 3 coats of emulsion - keep going until it looks even looking through front glass - very cheap and easy.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
MrWonka MrWonka
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 15/1/2015 11:28
Re: Painting the back of your tank #7
Never even thought of using emulsion...going to stick with the original selection of water based acrylic..all being well it should turn out ok. Will post a pic when its done.

Thanks to all for the advice
MrWonka MrWonka
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 19/1/2015 12:38
Re: Painting the back of your tank #8
Hi all.

Bough some crafters acrylic black water based paint ( 236ml ) and did four coats on a 48" x 18" panel, and still have nearly half the tube left.
Applied with a mini roller the end result if great, no more waking up and finding an annoying air bubble lol