LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/1/2015 11:09
Project Tank Move. #1
Morning all !

Ok 396l tank due Wednesday, filter and lighting on Monday. All the big stuff sorted!

Aquascaping is still being doodled

First of no doubt many questions!

Seeding the new filter:

In the current tank, in the Rio 180 filter, I have blue and green sponges. To seed the new canister, can I just cut up the filter sponges into small chunks and mix it into the media trays ?

I have a eheim bio ball filter in the 180 as well and as first 2 fish I'm buying are only 3" is it ok to use a 60l tank for a QT tank?.The bioball will be moved to the 60l

Thanks

Luke
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/1/2015 11:35
Re: Project Tank Move. #2
Yes to both, with the usual advice about monitoring for any spikes. Good luck with the move - pics when you're done please
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 17/1/2015 12:05
Re: Project Tank Move. #3
Thanks FL .

Just realised the 60l is actually 48 so is it still ok as a QT tank?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/1/2015 16:37
Re: Project Tank Move. #4
At a pinch, with probably daily water changes and for just a couple of weeks I'll stick my neck out and say yes. Only because I know you're a responsible fish keeper who really cares for the fish though
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 18/1/2015 13:07
Re: Project Tank Move. #5
Thanks FL!

First tank upgrade item came today. The hydor pro 600 filter.

Extremely impressive piece of kit. Feels solid and well made. Looks cool as well. Plus looks a doddle to set up.

Lots of filter already provided, fittings etc. all for ?129!!!!

Resized Image
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 18/1/2015 14:12
Re: Project Tank Move. #6
So been thinking about water changes. 100l is a lot to replace....

Luckily the new tank has a small window 1ft wide! behind it which opens into the garden .So water going out is easy , siphoned straight into the flower beds!

Water going in is the tricky thing. So cunning plan is to place a 200l water tank under the window the day before. Second hand food grade ones on eBay seem very cheap!

I'll fill with 50l tap water, treat and then mix with 50l r/o (my current process) the day before. Normal aquarium heater and by the next day should be the right temp to pump back in the tank.

Small pump in the tank, say 200 lph, and filling will be a piece of cake.

Water tank etc will live in garage between uses .

This seems a solid plan to me any flaws ?
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 18/1/2015 16:54
Re: Project Tank Move. #7
Sounds like a plan, it's similar to what I do (except I don't use RO). I'd go for a bigger pump though, it'll take forever at 200lph. I use this one, it's been brilliant, takes just over a minute to transfer the 50l or so that I use for a water change. I also use it for pumping out dirty water after siphoning it into a bin. I'd recommend using a remote control socket as it has no on/off switch.
Maybe I've misunderstood, but are you thinking of putting the container outside? If so you might struggle to get the water up to temperature in cold weather.
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 18/1/2015 20:05
Re: Project Tank Move. #8
Yeah cold would be a problem like the -2 tonight ! Most of the year though temp will not be too bad and if is too cold can always set up the water tank in the garage in a wheel barrow first and then hump it to the spot once tank has been cleaned. Hmm maybe that should be the plan anyway !!

Have also just been banned from traipsing water through the house anyway !!! Canister cleaning will be in the bath when the GF is out.....
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 18/1/2015 20:11
Re: Project Tank Move. #9
Keep the tub in the garage and use a long hose to pump through - no need to wheel barrow it in. I keep my RO barrel in the downstairs loo and have a pump that goes in it attached to a garden hose which will reach all the tanks in the house - up to 20-30 feet away
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 18/1/2015 20:14
Re: Project Tank Move. #10
That is the simple and obvious solution! Sometimes us boys overthink things ....