LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/1/2015 16:55
Introducing New Tank Members #1
Hi All

With the tank upgrade imminent (496l) ?I?m looking to expand the community. I currently have a Calico Fan Tail (Pinky -m)big brute now and a red cap Orlanda (Perky, f) who oddly is rather petit. Generally Pinky is very easy going except when Perky is spawning - then he gets very frisky!

I?m adding another 4 fancies and two at a time. If I get smaller fish (due to a very significant cost price!) is there a chance they would be bullied by the bigger fish? Or should i get fish of similar size?

Also how long is needed in the Q tank?

Thanks!
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 8/1/2015 20:36
Re: Introducing New Tank Members #2
Unlikely but it does happen on occasion.

I have introduced several news fancies into my 600l over a period of time, both jumbo's and tiddlers and never had any bullying issues - sure the little omnes can be rather intimidated but the bigguns don't bother them at all.

They need at least 2 weeks in a Q tank, gives you time to add salt / medications and time to notice any abnormal behaviours - just make sure you've got a filter with cycled media on the Q tank otherwise ammonia will go through the roof in the Q tank and will do more harm than good.

Test the water in the Q tank daily and perform regular water changes, you may need to to 50% every day for the 1st week.
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 9/1/2015 9:00
Re: Introducing New Tank Members #3
Morning!

I'm using the spare fully cycled 180l for the q tank once I have moved its current occupants to the 496l tank. So water quality will be fine.

Cheers for the fish info . The cost of. 3" fancie and a fully grown one is huge ! Plus like the idea of watching them grow up.
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 9/1/2015 12:23
Re: Introducing New Tank Members #4
Ah, that's a decent sized Q tank!

Yes the cost goes up considerably from 4" upwards, mainly because there are so few decent, quality fancies of the bigger sizes anymore.

I wouldn't say large quality fancies are "rare" as such but they are very uncommon thus the higher price tag. Plus the fishkeeping world is more marketed towards tropical / marine keepers and unfortunately the "goldfish world" is still associated with cheap, ten a penny poor quality goldfish that are considered "starter fish" and disposable and therefore are treated as disposable by many of their keepers, you only have to go to a local funfair to see the harsh evidence of that.

A colleague of mine who has a marine tank always turned his nose up at me, even going as far as saying I wasn't a proper fishkeeper because I kept goldfish....but then he saw my tank and soon changed his mind!