moodyman moodyman
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/11/2014 19:36
Goldfish fungal infection? #1
Hello All.

I have a goldfish that from what I can gather from the internet has a fungal infection. What started off as one white lump has turned into a few. His face is also turning white. When I spotted the first white lump I moved him to a hospital tank for about two weeks with Methylene Blue which ony served to dye just about everything in sight but had no effect. I moved him back to his normal tank after cleaning it and doing water change. However it is getting worse. So really just looking to find out if I call the priest or is there anything that can be done?
I have attached a picture (the best one out of 12 i'm afraid!).

I am completely new to fish keeping so please insult my intelligence as much as you feel is necessary!

Any advice welcome!

Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (1,664.21 KB)
18002_547389a26dc4f.jpg 3264X2448 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/11/2014 22:22
Re: Goldfish fungal infection? #2
Hi,

He's lovely. To be honest, I can't really tell from the pic whether it is a fungal infection - others may be able to help. Some lumps, though, are completely benign and nothing to worry about - it's possible that it's one of these. Also, some goldfish do change colour over time - eg some start off orange and turn completely white - so his face changing colour may not actually be a bad sign. Has he got any other symptoms - and is he eating and moving around as much as usual ie does it seem to be affecting his behaviour at all?

Good luck, and for someone with more expertise to be able to offer their advice to you too.

PS. Looking at the pic again, is it lumps or little white dots on his gills? I worried when I first noticed little white dots on the gills of my goldfish that he had developed 'white spot' but I learned that male goldfish often develop these when ready for breeding.
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 25/11/2014 12:06
Re: Goldfish fungal infection? #3
I'm always reluctant to offer health advice on the basis of seeing a picture but to be honest he looks pretty healthy to me.

As fcmf mentioned, if there are white spots on his gills and on the front of his fins this is perfectly normal for a male fish - these are "breeding tubercles".

White spot are much smaller spots (pin-head size) and basically look like your fish has been sprinkled with salt and you would need to get in very close with your camera for me to see that - best place to look is on the tail fin, can you see any white spots on there?

Whats his behaviour like generally? Is he lethargic? Is he off his food? Is he "flashing", i.e darting around the tank / trying to rub himself on the gravel or ornaments?
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 25/11/2014 12:41
Re: Goldfish fungal infection? #4
If you're referring to the white spots on the gills then the others are right and they are indeed breeding tubercles They come and go depending on what condition and how 'in the mood' the fish is. He looks quite young, so he won't be ready to do much about it yet but that won't stop him from feeling frisky and trying his luck with the ladies (or even the boys if he can't find a lady!). He looks fine and dandy to me but if you could give a bit more detail as per maccy_g's post that would help
It's Not Just A Fish
moodyman moodyman
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 25/11/2014 21:16
Re: Goldfish fungal infection? #5
Hi All,

Thank you for the advice and peace of mind. I accept that it is hard for you to diagnose based on that awful picture!

The white spots are flush with his body however but there is a lump just before his head which is sitting proud and has the 'cotton wool' look to it.

Generally though he is eating well and swimming away quite the thing. I'll keep an eye on it and come back on if I need to.

Thanks again to you all for taking the time to give advice.
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/11/2014 12:00
Re: Goldfish fungal infection? #6
I'd see how he gets on and keep an eye on that lump over the coming days / weeks then, sometimes people panic and jump straight in with trying to medicate fish which is very admirable but sometimes it can pay to wait a few days and ride it out to see if the problem clears up, especially if everything else with him seems fine.

My Orandas get a few bumps here and there despite having no rocks or ornaments in the tank, just plants - those bumps can have a kind of cotton wool effect to them but they heal up after a few days or so, they chase each other round over now and then so I assume that's the cause, oh and wen growth too.

I think the key thing here is to ensure that he isn't exhibiting any other kind of strange behaviour that I mentioned in my earlier post and to ensure you keep your water quality in check, if it IS some sort of injury you'll need to make sure your water is tip-top otherwise that could lead to an infection.