Iain_clark Iain_clark
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/10/2014 14:11
Advice on best pond filtration #1
Hi,
I've had ponds for many years and have always built my own filters, my question is are there filters available on the market which do as good a job and are less time consuming to maintain? My issue is that I'm away from home a lot with work and it isn't always easy to find an hour and a half spare time per week to clean out my filter set-up.

My pond approx volume is 3500 gallons (16,000L), it is located in full sun and is sort of a figure of eight shape with a bridge across the narrower middle section. There are two filter systems each powered by an Oase 6000L/Hr pump.

Filter 1 - At the left hand end of the pond is a waterfall, to get to the top of the fall the water is pushed through a 30W UV filter, a 40 gallon container containing brushes, a 25 gallon water tank which is completely filled with sponges (about 15 No.)and then two 40 gallon water Butts each holding 50 - 75 Litres of Kaldness K1.

Filter 2 - In the centre of the right hand circle of the pond I have a mountain feature (approx 1.5M high)into the top of which I have fitted a foam effect nozzle (so foaming water spews out of the top of the mountain, run's down the sides and into the pond). Water going to this feature passes through a Bioforce 12000 UV pressure filter.

Cleaning these filters every week (during the times of year when the fish are feeding) ensures perfect quality water which is absolutely clear, but it does take a lot of effort and time that I don't always have to wash though all of the sponges. Is there a more advanced solution to the particle filtration that is much more easily maintained than foams?
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 29/10/2014 22:30
Re: Advice on best pond filtration #2
If you want a decent filter for the size pond you have you would have to look into investing a decent ammount of money in a quite serious filteration system.

Im assuming you're keeping koi in the pond? This makes a big difference as koi produce larger volumes of waste compared to goldfish.

I personally find sponge filteration much more effective than the likes of nexus style filters and K1/bead media.

Pressurized units are great for smaller ponds but yours is slightly too large therefore I would be inclined to go for an OASE Screenmatic unit due to the ammount of room the benificial bacteria has to thrive in. If you have a read up on the unit about ease of maintainace etc (15 mins ish clean every 2-3 weeks without having to get your hands covered in ****)The units come in 3 sized 12,18, & 36. You would most likely want the 36 (It has 36 big blocks of sponge inside).

I would suggest for a pond your size in direct sunlight you would need at least 55 watts of UVC, that works out at 1W per 63 Gallons its recommended 1W to every 70Gal at the very max so 55W would manage the job.

Although not cheap an oase screenmatic 36 and bitron 55w UVC would have your pond spotless year round, with very little maintaining.

If you have anymore questions or need any help feel free to ask as much as you want.

-CB3100
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

www.midlandspondservices.co.uk
billy1 billy1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 2/11/2014 2:19
Re: Advice on best pond filtration #3
hi there have you got any pictures as i need some ideas if you dont mind thanks
Iain_clark Iain_clark
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 31/12/2014 16:01
Re: Advice on best pond filtration #4
Apologies for the belated reply, haven't been on here for a while.

CB3100 - I have only 6 Koi (about 16")in the pond the remainder of the fish (say about 120 No.) are mixed Goldfish varying in size from very small to about 9".

I will certainly research the Oase filters (though probably the 18 rather than the 36), the idea of only needing 15minutes cleaning every 2 - 3 weeks sounds great! Whilst Oase are an expensive brand I have always found there products to be very good quality and worth the extra investment.

The reason that my filter 2 is a pressurised unit is for the need to hide it as the water feature which it feeds is in the middle of the pond and about 1.5 M high. Changing my filter 1 set-up for the Oase and keeping filter 2 as it currently is could be a good compromise.

Many thanks for your response.

Iain