cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/10/2014 10:01
Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #1
Hi all,

I've previously posted on the emergency swim bladder topic regarding my over 10 year old fish. Just thought I create a new topic as I was posting a little to much irrelevant to that topic..

As he is no longer floated like swim bladder symptoms he still remains in a curved position with signs of swollen scales very slightly raised. this is my second day treating him with Waterlife Myxizin I was wondering if I change the water at 30% (awaiting a small filter today) how do I change the dosage?

Currently he is in a 9L hospital tank. The main tank was 240L tank, I think I said 140 in the other topic! Realised later!!

I don't have any more test for nitrates and nitrites but ammonia is zero result from a Waterlife test kit.

I also wanted to know if anyone have had any success stories of recovery for curvature fish after them being ill?

I've posted a previous picture of him, he is now just floating around under the water at the bottom sometimes in that curved fashion.

I'm not ready to lose my beloved fish yet and will happily fight to the very end!!!

And thank you!

Attach file:

jpg  (154.62 KB)
17923_5447723b561ea.jpg 1280X720 px
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/10/2014 15:46
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #2
He may not recover from the curvature I am afraid all you can do is carry on as you are by treating him and hope for the best and as I mentioned in the previous thread

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... SC&type=&mode=0&start=100

Quote:

Goldy wrote:

I really would get a larger tub though to give him a better chance of recovery, a larger volume of water is easier to maintain and better for the fish

We can advise on the dosage if you can tell us what it says on the bottle ok
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 23/10/2014 0:03
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #3
Thank you.. It's not really looking good and I'm getting slightly concerned he's spitting out the food I'm feeding him which is just mushed peas.. He is showing signs of fin rotting and his scales are raised, his eyes are also looking a bit bulging (sp?)

I have some octozin for dropsy but I used it probably over a year ago, do you think it will still be effective? I've got some being delivered...

He's moving every so often...But not much just at the bottom of the tank now I've put a new filter in there as well. What volume size tank do you reckon? I'm not too sure because the 9L tank seems to fit him ok, he's not swimming much and I didn't want to tire him out with a bigger tank either.. attached photo

Dosage on bottle for myxizin 2.5ml for 25l

Attach file:

jpg  (187.96 KB)
17923_544837b729e9c.jpg 1280X720 px
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 23/10/2014 11:10
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #4
Just to update, He is looking quite poorly and today his mouth is open and unable to close.. :(

I'm continuing with Myxizin, any other advice is welcome thanks.
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 23/10/2014 11:22
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #5
to be honest, to me he doesn't sound well at all. And as much as you're not ready to lose your fish; if he's not happy with no chance of recovery, then you need to do what's right for him.
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 23/10/2014 12:05
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #6
I can understand that you want to do your best for him but the best you can probably do now is end his suffering as it would appear he is now in an unrecoverable state of illness.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 23/10/2014 14:27
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #7
He is not looking very good is he and sadly don't think he will recover, his mouth open means he is slowly dying and as upsetting as it will be to lose him, looking at the latest photo and what you said today think it best to put him to sleep to continue in the hope he may recover will just prolong his suffering and your stress we can talk you through putting him to sleep kindly and very gently with clove oil and vodka I have had to do this myself a few times so know how horrible it is having to put a large goldfish to sleep after having them for so long

here is the method we use on here

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-m ... y-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 24/10/2014 1:17
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #8
Thanks for everyone's input and advice he passed away earlier... He was struggling but I just couldn't put him to sleep it was quite hard to lose him...

I even had a cry about it, again sounds a bit silly but I really did think he was a real fighter as well.

Thanks everyone I really appreciated the advices and the quick responses I've had as well x
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 24/10/2014 2:45
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #9
As sad as it is at least he isn't suffering any more you tried your best and you should be proud that you had him for 10 years as not many goldfish get the chance to live that long in a tank all the best with your other two goldfish if you have any questions or just want to chat then please pop back onto fk and we love to see photos on here too
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 26/10/2014 16:48
Re: Goldfish curvature, possibly dropsy after swim bladder, advice on medication #10
Sorry you lost your fish
[url=http://www.bigfishcam