NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/9/2014 16:30
Too many fish? #1
Hi all, just a quick one...do you think I have too many fish in my pond?

I have about:
- 7 medium-large koi (largest probably about 50cm?)
- 5 or 6 small-medium koi (couple of years old)
- 3 golden Orfe
- 8 or 9 various sized goldfish/Shubumpkin

My pond is about 7,000 litres, average of 3.5m x 2.5m by 80cm deep on average. I have a few plants and an Oase BioSmart and Oase 2500 fountain. I have a selection of Blagdon pond lights.

My concern is that the big ones have got too big, too many and they are not happy. They seem happy and the large ones were here when I bought the house some 7 years ago.

I've only ever lost one small koi which was one of three and that was over a winter some years ago. I had other fish which seem to have disappeared over the years, all smaller ones (all my blue Orfe, oddly).

I have a couple of the smaller fish with long term ailments (listed in another pos) but...is it time to look for a new, bigger home for some of these fish? I'd hate to have to get rid of any but don't want them suffering if the pond really is too small...

Attach file:

jpg  (1,733.96 KB)
13681_541efc98ab0dd.jpg 1924X2046 px
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/9/2014 16:50
Re: Too many fish? #2
I get the feeling you already know the answer.

Yes it is far too small and "over crowded" for the fish you have.

To live properly koi need to be able to swim up and down as well as side to side. The koi you have are now too big.

I suggest you also read THIS
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 21/9/2014 17:13
Re: Too many fish? #3
So the old adage of a fish will only grow to the size of the pond is nonsense then, huh?!

Do you have any idea what I can do with them then? Must admit I do like buying smaller fish and watching them grow, that's the best part. But I'd be gutted to get rid of the bigger ones, they're almost like family now! However I want then to have a very good life so a bigger home would be the best for them.

If only I could persuade the OH to have a bigger pond built, eh?!
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 21/9/2014 17:45
Re: Too many fish? #4
Quote:

NJS1982 wrote:
So the old adage of a fish will only grow to the size of the pond is nonsense then, huh?!

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic, or if you really think that is true.

EITHER WAY, Let us continue.

Fish are like any other "animal" in that they will keep growing until they reach their maximum.

Take yourself for example, why do you stop growing when you are the height you are now?
The answer is because it's in your genes to grow to that height.

Likewise a giraffe, grows tall because it is supposed to. Like wise, a pug dog is small because that is the size it is supposed to be.

A fish is no different, it will grow to the size it is supposed to be, the myth comes from the fact that if it is in a small bowl it grows until it can grow no more because of lack of space. (By which time its too late for the fish)

If your belief were true, the koi you have will grow to around 2.5m (The size of your pond) and we all know that is not going to happen.

What can you do with your too big and sick fish?

1)You could advertise them as free to good home.
(I am being serious)BUT if you advertise them on here, the chances are that no one lives near you that will either want or be able to take them.

2)Put them to sleep. (There is an article on here tell you how to do do it)
At least one of your fish has a "complaint" If I were taking your fish, and I found that out, I would decline, so will most others.

Fish don't live long?

Fish when looked after can and do live 20+ years, some koi are said to be over 100.

I suggest you read the article I gave a link to, and then you do lots more research into fish.

NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 21/9/2014 22:45
Re: Too many fish? #5
Yes, 2010, I was being sarcastic. Tongue in cheek comment, myth-busting at its best. I realise it is down to genetics, not only because I am educated but also because at the rate my fish eat, I would be amazed they didn't all reach 2.5m some time ago.

Ok so option one would be the euthanasia of my largest, healthy fish? I won't run that past them myself for fear of them deciding to actually grow to 2.5m, taking a crash course in learning how to fly and for them to swing by your place wielding a syringe of barbiturate and saying you are too small for your house (yes, they would also take lessons in the English language).

As for the other option of handing them over to somebody with an enormous lake, hoping they are not too fussy about the fish having friends with less than perfect body image - we all know how cruel the celebrity world of koi can be (I myself blame the media for that downward spiral of events) - I'll give that some considerable thought.

Or I could just dig a bigger home for my less than perfect but equally special aquatic friends and the other wildlife that visits. Now there's an idea...

In the meantime I have cleared some of the excess plants out and they have a lot more space to swim about, up, down, side to side. I've seen it all this evening. Or they could just be getting excited about the prospect of taking this crash course in aviation.

As for me researching lots more on fish...I'll rely on my existing education (even though two years of fish and reptile study modules was rather painful as it focused predominantly on fish in tanks rather than the pond variety), other friendlier and more helpful forum members or here's an idea, I'll just ask them, their English is improving as I type.

Thanks for your input 2010, really helpful.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/9/2014 0:09
Re: Too many fish? #6
2010 is right though really. At the end of the day the options are limited. Current pond is too small so it's a bigger pond or rehome the larger fish (and I agree that as you have carp pox and lympho that will put people off).
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 22/9/2014 5:03
Re: Too many fish? #7
NJS1982, I only tell the truth, and for that I am sorry that you can not handle what is obvious to even a "blind man"
Just "because it works" does not mean that it is right.

I figured you would not believe me, which is why I also said that you should go and do some more research, studying fish in tanks is nothing like studying fish in ponds. (Believe it or not, but that is a debate for another time)

NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 30/7/2015 10:33
Re: Too many fish? #8
Hi all, thought I would give another update to this...

The shubumpkin has lost its growths! The koi with pox has nearly got rid of it all and the orfe, whilst still crooked, is still happy (and I may add, perhaps less crooked though it could just be my eyes!)

All of these changes and improvements have only occured in the past couple of months and I believe it is because I have changed their food. I now feed them a 4-combo mix of Tetra (inc. one to bring out their colour) and two types of MediKoi food - one the probiotic one and one the general day to day food. This is obviously why they have had such an improvement, feeding them good quality food and fixing them from the inside out. I'm very happy!

As for the blue orfe, still no sign and a complete mystery. I understand that the heron may have had them, but still - it's odd to just select those three and I would say the orange ones would have been much easier to catch! Anyway, contemplating three more small ones in the coming weeks as they just look so different to what I have!

Thanks again for the help :) Glad I didn't euthanase them, and so are they.