PhishFood PhishFood
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/7/2014 11:21
Flakes or Pellets #1
What do others suggest/use for feeding to fancy goldfish for dry food, flakes or pellets? And which brands do others use/suggest?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/7/2014 11:33
Re: Flakes or Pellets #2
I don't keep fancies, but others here do and the usual recommendation is pellets rather than flakes to prevent them gulping air and having balance problems as a result. Pre-soaking food is also helpful to them in that respect as it means the food swells before it goes into the stomach.

Most of the major brand foods are good.
great_kahn great_kahn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 3/7/2014 11:48
Re: Flakes or Pellets #3
Saki Hikari sinking goldfish pellets are the best I've found. They go soft quickly but dont break up. Not cheap though.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 3/7/2014 20:48
Re: Flakes or Pellets #4
For dry food mine like Tetra Gold Japan, I've recently been trying them on this stuff which they seem to like They also like Ocean Nutrition algae wafers, Tetra Pleco Multi Wafers, Tetra Pro Algae mini crisps, and various bottom feeder foods (although no one seems to like 'Pleco Logs', not even the snail!). Algae wafers get broken up and well soaked, the rest is soaked for a few minutes only.

HTH
It's Not Just A Fish
PhishFood PhishFood
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Posted on: 4/7/2014 14:02
Re: Flakes or Pellets #5
Thanks. Saki Hikari seems a bit expensive for me, so I think I will go with the Tetra Gold Japan unless anyone else has any suggestions. How long does this last after opening, and how much of it do you usually feed them in one feeding as I do not want to over-feed them or under-feed them?
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 4/7/2014 20:50
Re: Flakes or Pellets #6
I can safely say my Tetra Gold Japan has never had the chance to go off! You can buy it in 145g or 55g tubs, I was rather hoping they'd sell it by the kilogram but it seems this is not the case

I feed mine a lot, but they are big adults. Having said that, smaller fish also need quite a bit as they're busy growing whereas mine are more into maintaining their not insignificant bulk. Goldies benefit more from little and often rather than one big feed. As mine are adults they get two feeds a day, morning and evening. Morning is dry food (pellets of some sort) and evening is frozen/veg/algae wafers. Younger fish should be fine on two feeds a day, especially if you let them have lots of live plants for snacking on like elodea and hornwort

How much to feed might take a bit of fiddling to get a good routine sorted. If they are producing a lot of food coloured poo that might indicate they are not able to efficiently digest all they've eaten, so it would be wise to cut down a little or spread it out over more than one feeding session. Goldies don't really have a stomach as such, they digest the food as it passes through the intestines.

They should be nice and chunky, no concave bellies or skinny little bodies. Fancies and commons should both be nice and rounded, with a good balance between head and body size. Sometimes you see one with a head that looks too big for the body, IMO this is a sure sign of stunting and stunting is more often than not linked to malnutrition. IMO

They do eat a remarkable amount, a couple of pellets won't really cut it. When I first got my ranchu his face was the same size as my fingernail and he was easily putting away a good pinch of pellets twice a day

HTH
It's Not Just A Fish
PhishFood PhishFood
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Posted on: 9/7/2014 17:30
Re: Flakes or Pellets #7
That really helps a lot. at my LFS they told me to feed them every other day about 2 flakes. I'll give that a go as they have got through the 2 bunches of plant that I put in there 2 weeks ago already (I'm not sure what it is, except that they like to eat it, or pull it apart, or something like that anyway (you should be able to see the plant in one of the pics in my profile, if not, ive got a better one somewhere).

Original Image
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/7/2014 19:49
Re: Flakes or Pellets #8
I feed mine a lot, JBL sinkers are my favourite.

JON
Original Image