susiepants susiepants
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/5/2014 19:21
Advice on new aquarium please #1
Hi all I am new to this site. I acquired a goldfish several weeks ago who now has a mate. I urgently bought a 12 litre tank with filter etc which seems healthy and have tested regularly I now want to upgrade to a larger tank but don't want to buy a new filter the one I have is a fluv al which suits up to 45 litres . Can anyone recommend a good aquarium with hood and light around the 45 litre mark please.
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/5/2014 20:01
Re: Advice on new aquarium please #2
Not for goldfish I can't I'm afraid. If they have single tails you're going to need either a pond, or something about six feet, by two feet, by two feet, with big external filters. Common goldfish should grow to over a foot long, and are messy poo machines.

If they have double tails then a tank about 180 litres should be enough. Again you'll want a big external to run it. Either the Juwel Rio 180 or the Fluval Roma 200 would be suitable, but the small internals that they come with won't be.

Most tanks that come with hoods also come with filters, lights, etc. If you buy a Clearseal tank and a matching hood you'll still need to buy a light fitting for it, and you'd pay about the same for both bits as a good 60L tank kit like the Juwel Rekord 600, or the Korall (which is even cheaper, but has a hood with a feeding/maintenance hole that's very small, and a bespoke lighting unit that needs to be completely replaced whenever the bulb goes).
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!