loujones loujones
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/5/2014 16:31
New baby fry #1
When i was cleaning out my tank with 3 goldfish in i noticed eggs all over the plant & filter so removed some eggs & put them in a small tank bowl, Some eggs have hacthed & im very excited about my new little baby fri :D i need to know everything that i need to know about caring for these amazing little fish! I went over pets at home & brought some liquifry, How much do i feed them theres only around 8? Am i right in thinking i start feeding from tomorrow they will be 3days old? Do i change their water? They are in old tank water which is a little green do i added tap safe to their water? Please can you just let me know everything i need to know :) Im new to this :)
loujones loujones
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 9/5/2014 7:20
Re: New baby fry #2
Someone please help i added liqifry to the water & it come out & stayed as a lump in the water is that right?
& no fry seem to be eating & now the water is mucky????
kayne kayne
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 9/5/2014 9:09
Re: New baby fry #3
Hi lou

I'm not an expert particularly with goldfish fry but I have platy fry and use the liquifry with them.

The drops do tend to hang around on the surface and will cloud the water up as it is basically very fine particles. The fry often wont look like they are eating but will feed on it as it floats past. As long as they are growing you are on the right track.

Water changes should be around 10% daily with fry as the feeding requirements are 2-4 times daily and this fouls up the water real fast.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/5/2014 9:12
Re: New baby fry #4
Hi

Don't feed them until they are actually swimming. If using Liquifry you need to shake the bottle really well and just add one drop then disperse it into the water with your fingers. After a few days they'll be big enough to move on to crushed flake and so on.

They will need a filter, an air-driven sponge to begin with upgrading to increasingly powerful filtration as they grow. You'll need to feed them four times a day and syphon any left-overs out after every feed. Change 25% of the water daily.

Have you thought about what you will do if you manage to raise them? As they grow you're going to need bigger and bigger tanks and if all ten survive, more than one tank. Have a look at this article on tank sizes for goldfish and you'll see that this could be a huge problem, and with ten of them it will become an issue very quickly
loujones loujones
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 9/5/2014 10:42
Re: New baby fry #5
Thank you both for your replys :) so i shouldnt have fed them yet? The liquifry just come out as i lump that sank to the bottom! How do i do water changes? Do i need to add anything to the water? I have spare tanks for when they grow (if they survive) fingers crossed. This is my 1st time raising fry but not my first fish :) had my current 3 for 2 nearly 3 years & my fish before that i lost my last one after 8 years :(
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/5/2014 11:10
Re: New baby fry #6
They shouldn't be fed until they are up and swimming. Until then they live on the yolk sac attached to them when they hatch so any food added will just pollute the water. If the Liquifry is coming out in lumps, put a drop into some tank water in an eggcup and stir it with your finger until it dissolves then pour into the tank.

Water changes will be just as you do for any other tank - syphon out old water and replace with new water at the same temperature treated with dechlorinator.

Just checking that you realise what you're taking on here: if they survive then you will need at least a 600 litre tank for them if they are fancy goldfish or 700 litres (preferably a pond) if they are commons and they will live for between 12 and 20 years. You will need this within 12 months, but the sooner the better as if you start with small tanks you'll be constantly replacing them as the fish grow. If this isn't going to be possible you need to look now for new homes - especially if they are single tail fish as they need to go out into a pond before autumn.
loujones loujones
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 9/5/2014 12:02
Re: New baby fry #7
I dont plan on keeping them all i will find homes for them if they survive i already have my sister wanting a couple. What age can they be rehomed? How many fish does a 80l & 70l tank hold? They are commen goldfish
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 10/5/2014 1:18
Re: New baby fry #8
Unfortunately neither of those tanks are big enough for even one common goldfish. They grow to around a foot long and need a lot of swimming space. They really are best kept outdoors in a pond, but if kept in a tank it needs to be at least 5 or 6 feet long .....
superswimmer superswimmer
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 11/5/2014 5:30
Re: New baby fry #9
Congradulations on your fry!!!