« 1 (2)
Andy W Andy W
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/12/2013 16:09
Re: Eggs!! #11
I'd be very surprised if corries would take platy fry - they can move much quicker than the corries can plus a down turned mouth would make it pretty difficult to grab a fish.
Andy W Andy W
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 17/12/2013 16:13
Re: Eggs!! #12
Quote:

james15 wrote:
I love cories. Shame you don't live closer otherwise you might have been able to have some babies if any survived. Spoke to LFS this morning, they'll be happy to take some if I have too many.

I think your neons and angel fish will make a meal of any corrie fry - they really are tiny when they hatch.

I removed the eggs from the glass of my tank with a plastic credit card and put them into a hatchery but ideally you really need a special breeding tank to raise them.
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 17/12/2013 16:27
Re: Eggs!! #13
Quote:

Andy W wrote:

I think your neons and angel fish will make a meal of any corrie fry - they really are tiny when they hatch.

I removed the eggs from the glass of my tank with a plastic credit card and put them into a hatchery but ideally you really need a special breeding tank to raise them.

Angel fish? I don't have any angel fish. But yes I do have neons, so not holding out too much hope!
Andy W Andy W
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 18/12/2013 11:27
Re: Eggs!! #14
Quote:

james15 wrote:
Quote:

Andy W wrote:

Angel fish? I don't have any angel fish. But yes I do have neons, so not holding out too much hope!

Sorry - got mixed up with another conversation on another forum!

Strangely I witnessed one of my corries lay about 12-15 eggs on some bogwood last night - the other cory wasn't anywhere near so I know they weren't fertile. Its not something I've seen happen before and didn't realise they would do it without a male present.
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 18/12/2013 16:22
Re: Eggs!! #15
Haha easy done.
Hardly any eggs left now, although the ones that are left look like they may have hatched! Not entirely sure how you tell tbh but they kind of look "split open". Could be completely wrong though.
psymongreen psymongreen
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Avon
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/12/2013 8:31
Re: Eggs!! #16
Quote:

Tknoxx wrote:
I'd love to have cory babies!

In the 4 years I've had my Corydoras sterbai, I've only had 1 egg make it to adulthood. My Apistos long ago worked out what Cory breeding signs look like and follow them around the tank for a snack. As I've not got room for yet another tank, I've never been that worried . The one that made it got sucked in to the filter and hatched in there! Gave me a heck of a shock during my water change to see a tiny little fishie swimming about. Cory babies are so cute!
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 19/12/2013 16:58
Re: Eggs!! #17
The saga continues. All of the eggs have now gone, and the cories have responded to this by producing more!! They're nothing if not persistent!