(1) 2 »
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/12/2013 18:01
Eggs!! #1
Did a partial water change this morning, and some time during the afternoon some eggs have appeared! I'm not sure which of my fish are responsible, so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help ID them (not sure how easy it is to ID eggs by looking at them)

Resized Image

They're mainly on the glass, with a few on the plastic plants. Temperature is between 25 and 26. At the moment my money is on the neons as I saw one of them swimming around near the eggs but I've really got no idea so hopefully someone here might be able to give a more positive ID. First time this has ever happened to me!
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 15/12/2013 18:51
Re: Eggs!! #2
Oh my! Given the DG is a male, my money would be on either of the tetras or the Cherry Barb LOL.

Appreciate that's not a lot of ruling out though. Only ever seen tetras egg laying in the soft bushy plants (planting mops usually recommended if trying to save the eggs from tetra/barbs) - are you wishing to save them?

If so, any eggs will need to removed to a rearing/fry tank or they will get eaten of course in a community set up. I used to let nature just take it's course with eggs in the trop set ups.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/12/2013 19:05
Re: Eggs!! #3
Do you have cories? They look like cory eggs to me and both neons and barbs are scatterers where cories stick eggs to a surface they've previously cleaned - usually the glass. A water change is a classic spawning trigger for them too.

EDIY: Just checked your profile and see you have C. paleatus: definitely them!
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 15/12/2013 20:04
Re: Eggs!! #4
I was starting to think cories after doing a little more research, so you've confirmed that for me now. I'm planning on letting nature take its course and see what happens. I was thinking of getting some more cories so I may keep a few of these if they survive. If I have too many I expect the LFS will take some off my hands as they were really helpful when my tank was overstocked. How long before they hatch? Also I've been using Melafix recently, will that harm the babies? Should I put carbon in my filter to remove it?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/12/2013 20:36
Re: Eggs!! #5
Typically it takes 3-5 days for them to hatch and then a couple of days more before they're free-swimming, but they may well be picked off by the other fish before then

I don't think the Melafix will hurt them.
Andy W Andy W
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 15/12/2013 22:22
Re: Eggs!! #6
A few years ago I had some bronze corries and they spawned on the front glass like this.

I had a Large Angel fish at the time which demolished a few before I carefully removed the rest of them and put them into a breeding trap - it was all I had as I was completely unprepared.

I'd like to saw it all went well but although they hatched I lost all the fry :(
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 16/12/2013 11:27
Re: Eggs!! #7
Well if they get eaten they get eaten, I'm prepared for that although it will be great if some do survive. I've got to admit it's pretty exciting, I've never had this happen before!
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 17/12/2013 9:35
Re: Eggs!! #8
Looks like about half the eggs have been eaten now, but there are still quite a few left.
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/12/2013 14:17
Re: Eggs!! #9
I'd love to have cory babies!

I was about to go collect some pepper cories when my platy give birth and I didn't want them snaffling them!
TK
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 17/12/2013 15:03
Re: Eggs!! #10
I love cories. Shame you don't live closer otherwise you might have been able to have some babies if any survived. Spoke to LFS this morning, they'll be happy to take some if I have too many.