ken-burns ken-burns
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/11/2013 14:57
Pond Vacuum Cleaner #1
Hi there,

I don't know if you guys have already heard of this sort of thing. I'm contemplating whether to get one or not - as far as I know it sucks up sludge and grime from ponds and spits clean water back out.

I've seen a couple advertised on ebay and amazon, and another on oypla.com which looks pretty decent - http://www.oypla.com/garden/garden-ca ... rden-pond-vacuum-cleanner. I'm just not sure if it's worth the investment.

Have any of you guys ever used one? If so how did you find it?

Thanks in advance.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 14/11/2013 20:52
Re: Pond Vacuum Cleaner #2
I'm a tank girl as opposed to pond (green eyed with envy - wish I had the room to have a pond) but that looks like a fab bit of kit, I have to say

Having watched the linky and demo, it's the 'pond' version of the Eheim Sludge Buster for tanks (but on a far bigger scale) which I use.

Does the same thing - filters out sludge/poop etc and returns water to pond (or in my case, the Fancy tank).

That looks like a sound investment to me!
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 14/11/2013 21:19
Re: Pond Vacuum Cleaner #3
I too watched the video, I can't help but wonder......why did they not show it being used?

The answer is simple.

It is just a wet and dry vacuum cleaner.

The problem with them is that it can suck a lot of water quickly then what? you have to wait while it drains. This sound simple enough but the truth is its tedious and people don't want to wait or soon get fed up waiting.

The way round it is to buy one which has two chambers, one fills while the other empties so in effect you get continuous cleaning.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 19/11/2013 13:03
Re: Pond Vacuum Cleaner #4
I use an oase pondovac 4 and it works a treat I connect the discharge end to my rain water downpipe so as not to flood the garden with sludge and grit although in the summer I let it drain into the flowers who love the dirty water
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 2/12/2013 22:46
Re: Pond Vacuum Cleaner #5
Hi,

2010, is right, for that price the vacuum is going to have just one chamber so you will have to wait longer for it to discharge then for it to fill. Im a bit of a loop on new products but when I was working Hozelock brought a very good one for aound £100. Might be worth a look.

But you don't need to looking for one now. With it going to (apparently) get a lot colder very soon, it will be too cold to do anything, so unless its really bad Id wait till spring.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/12/2013 5:48
Re: Pond Vacuum Cleaner #6
If the truth were known, I believe that ken-burns (The person who started the topic) is only interested in advertising the product, he doesn't care what you really think.

Now you know my opinion, read the post again, it does not "fit" with some one who wants an opinion. Also if you wanted an opinion and asked on the www, would you have not come back in a few days or even a week to find out what had been said?

There is more..........
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/12/2013 14:47
Re: Pond Vacuum Cleaner #7
True, but hopefully by providing information on other products, which will suit his needs better then if he does return or may be someone else looks at the thread, we can also help them without them needing to start a new thread.