• Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/11/2013 23:32
Re: Feeding Garlic #61
Quote:

Violet wrote:
@ Asumel - yup, more food will trigger faster growth (not that I'm suggesting overfeeding in any way - another topic altogether!).

from what i read it wasnt increasing the food given just increasing feeding rates and related feeding behaviour.
I agree with finnipper in some respects, but it has been shown to have an effect in fish species at 1.3% of their feed weight. but no eoffect at 4% so over feeding the garlic was pointless. FYI THIS WAS DONE AS A PREVENTATIVE MEASURE, AND WAS SHOWN TO DECREASE SUCEPTIBILITY TO A CIRTAIN BACTERIA. THIS IS NOT A TREATMENT AND IS NOT 100% EFFECTIVE AS A PREVENTATIVE EITHER. IT JUST SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASED THE FISHES SUCEPTIBILITY TO THAT BACTERIAL INFECTION.
using it as a treatment is as useless as a chocolate teapot not to mention potentialy damaging to the fish
Eat, SCUBA, Fish.
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 1:54
Re: Feeding Garlic #62
Violet it's come from a US keeper. The person has a massive stock tank, like a mini pond.
Asumel Asumel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 7:41
Re: Feeding Garlic #63
Quote:

Miss Dorsal wrote:
Violet it's come from a US keeper. The person has a massive stock tank, like a mini pond.

Just because they have a massive stock tank, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. I am not saying that they don't ( I wont judge them having not spoken to them) but If thats the reason you trusted their advice then I would be a bit dubious about it.

Miss Dorsal- The information that I posted previously on this thread ( above your post I quoted) Came out of a peer reviewed scientific paper (ref at bottom) and unless the American had conducted a similar experiment which was peer reviewed and published in a scientific journal then take the science over his speculation.

The effects of garlic-supplemented diets on antibacterial activity against Streptococcus iniae and on growth in orange-spotted grouper, Epinephelus coioides
Guo, J.J. ; Kuo, C.M. ; Chuang, Y.C. ; Hong, J.W. ; Chou, R.L. ; Chen, T.I.Aquaculture, 2012, Vol.364-365, pp.33-38
Eat, SCUBA, Fish.
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 10:03
Re: Feeding Garlic #64
I'm not disputing you Asumel. I agree with what you said about it being as good as a chocolate teapot. Violet wanted to know if the person that told me the garlic would kill parasites was from the US or UK and what their tank was like.

The person actually warns people to not use any medications that aren't natural. She says they'll kill the fish and if they survive in the long run both the keeper and fish can get ill from being exposed to the medication. She's wrong but I believed her up until very recently. It was lucky I realised when I did and got my fish to a vet in time. He's improving now, thank God.
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 10:27
Re: Feeding Garlic #65
"The person actually warns people to not use any medications that aren't natural".

There are too many people pushing this point of view in fish keeping. All it does is it displays their complete lack of knowledge of the subject in favour of their own biased preferences, they have a closed mind and have stopped learning.

It is always better to keep an open mind and try to see both sides of the argument, find out as much as possible through your own research and then base your decision on the facts before you. Take nothing for granted and question everything which isn't a solid fact, that way you will always keep learning.
Asumel Asumel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 10:44
Re: Feeding Garlic #66
Quote:

finnipper wrote:
There are too many people pushing this point of view in fish keeping. All it does is it displays their complete lack of knowledge of the subject in favour of their own biased preferences, they have a closed mind and have stopped learning.

There is some truth in the whole pro-biotic stuff going on, as I'm currently feeding my fish a diet which was formulated with pro-biotics in. which was shown to work very well. but this is the compound in the pure form, and only at about 1% of the feed by weight. And the incorporation of Algal products into fish diets has been shown to increase colour, growth and health of the fish.
So there is some basis to what these people are saying, but Its not really possible with stuff you would find in the home.
Eat, SCUBA, Fish.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 12:19
Re: Feeding Garlic #67
The whole argument of natural vs chemical is an odd one, I prefer not to use any chemical or 'unnatural' additives, unless absolutely necessary.. But as has been mentioned good diet and environment will prevent the need to compensate with anything 'chemical' (bearing in mind that even 'natural' substances are all formed from basic chemical components). For example, I add ketapang leaves to my tanks, as they release substances that make for a more natural environment for the tank inhabitants.. There are products that have been made to replicate the same effects but I would rather have the leaf litter... Entirely different to my approach to identifiable illness, where a trusted medication is appropriate it should be used, but we do see a lot of examples of people unnecessarily using medications when a more natural approach would actually fix the problem. I would like to see fish shops that sell medications have a different approach to selling them, there are a few branded treatments, that are actually useless for the intended application... A great example of this is swim bladder treatment.... Pointless as there are too many things that can cause buoyancy issues, which a bottle of snake oil won't fix!
So there is some merit to the advice not to reach for medications willy nilly, but to advise against their use is short sighted!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/11/2013 23:56
Re: Feeding Garlic #68
Quote:

finnipper wrote:
"The person actually warns people to not use any medications that aren't natural".

It is always better to keep an open mind and try to see both sides of the argument, find out as much as possible through your own research and then base your decision on the facts before you. Take nothing for granted and question everything which isn't a solid fact, that way you will always keep learning.

People do this all the time with human medicines too.
Horrible things like shark cartilage curing cancer - based on an unsuccessful clinical trial on a compound.
Sadly people wanting to make money also perpetuate the information online.
TK
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 11/12/2013 16:48
Re: Feeding Garlic #69
I feed this from time to time.

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.u ... ter-pack-100g-p-4867.html

Fish love it, and no smell whatsoever.
mjh74 mjh74
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 8/1/2014 21:11
Re: Feeding Garlic #70
I'm feeding the exact thing to my fish once a week too. My LFS has it.