« 1 (2)
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 19/9/2013 19:21
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #11
The people who advised adding salt, did they say what the salt will do? It isn't magical. Salt has some anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti protozoa properties it will also help ease some osmotic problems and that's it. Because this condition has gone on for this length of time I think it is safe to say that it isn't anything to do with digestion, blockages ect because if it was the fish would be dead by now. This leaves a true swim bladder problem and that is extremely difficult to cure.
In a minority of cases an infection is the cause but when it is internal the usual antibacterial remedies are generally ineffective but an injection given by a vet would be effective IF this is caused by an infection. If the cause is physiological then quite simply there is really nothing that can be done other than surgery!!! Add salt if you feel it will help but all you are likely to achieve is slightly lowering the O2 level.
Kevyla Kevyla
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/9/2013 20:38
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #12
Hi Finnipper,

I really appreciate your advice.

I think really the salt is a last "hope", and we're hoping that in some way it might help.

It may sound weird, but we are very attached to that fish, a bit of a celebrity in our family, so willing to try anything.

I think now though, we have to accept that there's very little we can do and hope is about all we have that she'll get through the winter.

As it's a raised, rectangular pond, I'm going to try some sort of blanket/cover when the very cold weather is here, in the hope that it may keep the frost and ice off the old girl.
Waterbug Waterbug
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 20/9/2013 6:14
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #13
finnipper covered it very well.

People love to give advice. People who have some basis for their advice won't mind explaining what they expect the salt to correct, which means they also can tell you all the details. But in most cases they're going to say "I heard it somewhere" or "it helps them" or other silly things that lets you know they have no idea. If they do have a theory and can explain it then at least you have some basis to make an informed decision.

I hope the people telling you to add salt warned you of the risks, explained the amount to add and for how long. Also hope you have a salt test kit, and have a way to dispose of the salty water safely, and don't have a problem doing the large water changes needed to reduce salt levels when the treatment is over.

There's no huge problem adding salt if done correctly. Fish can normally live thru it.

If you're adding salt only because someone said to, no additional info, you might consider what path that puts you on.

Interestingly the buoyancy issue could go away during the treatment...on it's own. But the salt will get the credit.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 20/9/2013 19:31
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #14
It could be said adding salt to a pond is like giving everyone in a room an asprin, because some has a head ache.

Any "treatment" for one specific fish should be carried out in a separate quarantine tank.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/9/2013 16:50
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #15
Hi Kevyla, how is she doing? Any change at all?
Kevyla Kevyla
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2013 13:29
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #16
Sorry for the delay in responding.

No, nothing at all, still always on top.

However, last Saturday, a mate and me reset all the flag stones around the top of the pond, which took a few hours and during that time, we didn't see the fish at the top at all.

She stayed underwater, but I'm fairly sure she kept swimming the whole time. I think it's only when she's still she bobs up to the top.
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 2/12/2013 22:53
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #17
Sorry for the late reply as well.

Is she doing it anymore now that the weather is colder? It could be a slight swim bladder problem, which can be fairly common in older fish. You will need to keep an eye on her during the winter in case the pond freezes over. My suggestion would be to look at covering the pond to keep the chill of it.
Kevyla Kevyla
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 2/12/2013 23:30
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #18
Hi, I have great news Fredrick.

Since the weather turned colder, she has been down in the water with no problems and static as well, so she seems to be fine.

It all happened a few weeks ago when we had that first very cold spell. She just disappeared down in the pond, I checked and there she was near the bottom and not needing to swim around.

My wife and I are very relieved and can't wait to see her back at the top next spring/summer time.
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 9/12/2013 14:43
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #19
That's great news, like I say, keep an eye on here as she could start doing it again but hopefully not.

Do you know if she spawned at all this year? Is she still feeding or have they gone off it all together?
Kevyla Kevyla
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 9/12/2013 21:35
Re: Mirror Carp always on surface #20
Yes, will keep a close eye.

I don't think she has spawned as we only have one other carp and I don't think they breed at all.

Not fed the fish for weeks now as it's been below 10 degrees for a good while and they're not really interested and I don't think they really need it at this time of year.

Thanks again for your advice and interest.