(1) 2 »
FishyMcFish FishyMcFish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/9/2013 23:56
Anyone know about Neritina snails? #1
I was looking through eBay for some scabby-looking ramshorn snails to feed my assassins and whilst I was browsing saw these snails called neritina snails:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neritina-Sp ... h-Tank-TO019/281130541697

I've never heard of or seen them before but I think they look rather nice and I'd like to get some to decorate my tank. Only thing is, will they be a nice decoration or will they end up being a tasty treat for my assassins?

I don't know how big they'll get though I've messaged the seller but I've decided to save money on ramshorns and decided to breed them; I've got the internal filter and ramshorns coming through the post tomorrow and I was thinking if these neritinas grow to be an inch-or-so big then I could pop them in with the others until they're bigger.

So, I'm going to have a google but wondered if anyone here has any experience of them. I do think they look rather nice.
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 0:14
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #2
Nerites need brackish water to breed!
That's all I know :)

The Zebra Nerite is a popular one:
Zebra Nerite
TK
FishyMcFish FishyMcFish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 0:21
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #3
Thanks for the link, I *will* look, I need educating on these. I only have experience of Ramshorn and assassin snails and the other type that come in on plants..

At this stage I wasn't thinking about breeding them, just having a few in my tank to look at and for housekeeping purposes.

<edit> Just to clarify, I do want to start breeding ramshorn snails as it's getting quite expensive now
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 0:49
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #4
There's not much to the link - keep them at 22-26 Celsius and feed them algae wafers if you run out of algae.

Keeping snails means you need harder water so they can make their shells but I'm sure since you have snails you already know!

Ramshorms will breed like mad if you have a small '' 15L gldfish tank'' and add some tank water, elodea and a pinch of ground up fish food occassionally or some veg. A sponge filter would suffice for filtration.
TK
FishyMcFish FishyMcFish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 0:55
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #5
That's exactly what I'm going for, the 15l style of tank; the cheap-as-chips type with a yellow lid you get from Pets at Home and other places. I tried a sponge filter when trying to breed before but found it didn't turn the water over anywhere near enough and after a couple of days everything in the tank got covered in slime and it really wasn't nice at all so for the price of 50 RHS, I got a 200lph internal filter from All Pond Solutions; with any luck it should pay for itself in a couple of months and I can put a bit of foam in from my external on the main tank.

Water-wise, I live in London so the water's like granite
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 1:00
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #6
The snails will love it either way!

That site is ok for snail info - some advisers on here could tell you a lot more though!

There are also apple snails but they will be banned soon so I don't think I'll ever get to try them. They can become pretty huge though!
TK
FishyMcFish FishyMcFish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 1:03
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #7
Why are apple snails going to be banned?

I always found them to be a bit big too and whenever I've seen them they've always been at the top of the waterline, not doing much.
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 1:05
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #8
From memory:
Spain has a major problem with escapees breeding prolifically.
I think it is EU regulation as the threat here in the Uk is I would suspect mimimal.

Here is the link:
Why they are being banned.
TK
FishyMcFish FishyMcFish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 1:19
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #9
Thanks for that. I'm off to my bed now though so will give it a squizz in the morning.

Cheers!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 17/9/2013 19:40
Re: Anyone know about Neritina snails? #10
Nerites don't get very big, maybe twice the size of an assassin snail. I don't know whether they are safe together but I would doubt it , maybe someone actually knows?? I wld not risk it!
Nerites can be very pretty and make a good job of clearing algae from surfaces (if you peer closely at the glass you can actually see like tooth marks!) but they do tend to lay eggs which are very hard to dislodge - you can end up with your bogwood looking like it's been sprinkled with sesame seeds. Mine always seemed to lay more eggs when disturbed e.g. moved into new tank.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam