Clarewool Clarewool
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/9/2013 21:16
BABY PLATYS. Please help #1
Just come and discovered that one of my play's has given birth. What shall I do. I've found 3 so far and put them in a tub?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/9/2013 22:54
Re: BABY PLATYS. Please help #2
If you want to keep them, see if you can get a breeding net and suspend it in the tank with then in it. They need to be in filtered water with oxygen flow. Baby Platys are usually able to take normal fish flake as food as long as you powder it for them - just rub between finger and thumb.
Clarewool Clarewool
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 12/9/2013 23:03
Re: BABY PLATYS. Please help #3
Thank you, but what do I do with them until I can get to a shop to buy the net. Also, there is one baby still in the tank, how do I get it out as it hides under the media. I found the other 3 in the filter compartment
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/9/2013 23:20
Re: BABY PLATYS. Please help #4
Do you have an air pump? If so a gently bubbling airstone in the tub, along with daily partial water changes (50% or so) will probably keep them safe 'til then - failing availability of an airstone, just do the water changes. As for the one in the tank, I'm afraid unless it pops out and makes itself available there's not much you can do. Baby livebearers do sometimes manage to hide until too big to eat though - usually the female gives birth to at least 20 at a time and the od one or two manage to find a safe spot to stay out of harm's way.
Clarewool Clarewool
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 12/9/2013 23:24
Re: BABY PLATYS. Please help #5
Maybe a silly question, but would a pair of tights do for a net until I can get to a shop?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 13/9/2013 10:03
Re: BABY PLATYS. Please help #6
No, I don't think so as they wouldn't stay "open" to allow the fish to move and water to circulate.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 13/9/2013 11:03
Re: BABY PLATYS. Please help #7
A nylon sieve would probably do
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Clarewool Clarewool
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 13/9/2013 19:27
Re: BABY PLATYS. Please help #8
I managed to keep them alive over night and got a net today. Thank you very much for your help. Not sure what has happened to the one that was hiding under the media but I haven't seen it all day.