craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/8/2013 20:32
HMA filters #1
I'm toying with the idea of setting a HMA filter up, from what I have read on the internet it will cost me more than water conditioner but in my opinion it will make water changes easier for me.

Can anybody give me any advice if HMA will be better for my fish and can anybody recommend a brand of filter ?

Many thanks Craig
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 7/8/2013 21:26
Re: HMA filters #2
I've never really understood the philosophy behind this device. I understand that they remove heavy metals, reduce chlorine and may even filter out Cryptosporidium and Giardia cysts.

A simple dechlorinator will remove chlorine, make any heavy metals completely inert and I assume that the water board chlorine at source will make the water biologically safe.

HMA filters won't reduce dissolved solids or alter the pH.

Basically I just don't get it

Yet many very knowledgeable fish keepers whose opinion I take seriously really recommend them.

I'm still waiting to be convinced.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/8/2013 21:35
Re: HMA filters #3
Hi Craig,

I tend to agree with finnipper on this - can't really see any particular benefit especially for the majority of community fish. For Discus keepers I can see they may be useful in removing rather than detoxifying heavy metals, due to the sensitive nature of these fish, but then I'd rather go the whole hog with RO and remineralisation in that case. What is your reason for wanting to use one and what fish are you keeping?

Bear in mind that if you do, you're going to need to test the output water for chlorine to ensure you replace the carbon elements when needed, otherwise there's a risk of chlorine ending up in the tank and disrupting the filter bacteria. If your supplier uses chloramines maintenance of the HMA unit will be critical as I don't think there's a home test for chloramine to guide you on this.

I doubt the fish will benefit over and above a good dechlorinator, but if you decide to use one, Devotedly Discus sell them and are a very reputable supplier.
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 7/8/2013 22:11
Re: HMA filters #4
Thanks for your replies, the only reason i want to try it is to save buckets of water when doing water changes. I don't have any other reason really if i'm honest.

The fish I have are

African knife fish
Bala sharks
Congo tetras
Apistogramma Hongsloi
Electric Blue Rams
Gold Spot Pleco L022
Hoplo Cats
Sterbei Corys
Small fire eel

I'm a plumber so there would be no cost to installing a filter so thats a plus side to me having one.

Apart from me having to test for chlorine are there any disadvantages of me going for a HMA filter ?

Thanks for your time

Craig
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/8/2013 22:13
Re: HMA filters #5
No, it definitely won't do any harm (if well maintained) so if you want one then go for it. Could be interesting to see if you notice any change in the fish once you switch to MHA.

Looks like you're probably going to be getting a bigger tank given the stock
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 7/8/2013 22:36
Re: HMA filters #6
Thats something I would like to find out if HMA is better for my fish. I'm planning some lovely tanks this winter when i have more time to sort things out! :)

Thanks again for your help i'l let you know my findings
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 7/8/2013 22:39
Re: HMA filters #7
I have a chloramine filter, from experience now I know that it has never been exhausted before the 6-monthly change so I only test randomly now, not every time as I used to; I use DPD 4 tablets for this ?5 for 100 on eBay e.g these
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 7/8/2013 23:03
Re: HMA filters #8
Thanks cathie! I'm gonna go for one now :)