dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/6/2013 23:29
Losing patience !! #1
Ok here we go again for the 3rd year running my pond is crystal clear all winter when it's to cold to sit out and look at it and as soon as the sun comes out the pond goes cloudy
My pond is 10x8ft x4.5ft deep it has an oase aquamax 16000 pump with a 6" skimmer attached going into an oase filtoclear 30000 there's a brand new uv bulb been put in at the start of may also there's one of those oxytex air bubble things as well just for good measure
There are probably about 20-30 fish in there ranging from 3" koi gold fish etc to a 2ft long sturgeon they get fed once a day in the morning and also gets hoovered once or twice a month my local dealer suggested doing it every week !i have various plants in there also
When I run a net over the bottom of the pond I'm able to scoop up a net full of sludge all the plants etc look as though they have a layer of silt on them to I've even got an electronic weed controller to see if that would help
So the question is why can't I keep the water clear in the summer or what am I doing wrong as this time next year if I can't get it clear its going to be a sand pit
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 10/6/2013 22:11
Re: Losing patience !! #2
Without seeing it in person, I can only offer suggestions.

If it only happens in summer it has to be something to do with the fish, since that will be when you feed them?

What goes in one end must come out somewhere else.........

Why don't you fit that bottom drain you mentioned? Unless you get a lot of floating debris you may want to "unplumb" the surface skimmer.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/6/2013 22:34
Re: Losing patience !! #3
Cloudy green, white, brown??? Its really hard to suggest anything without more detail but I would guess its either water quality or algae related.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 12/6/2013 22:14
Re: Losing patience !! #4
Don't lose patience, its not actually anything in particular that you are doing. its likely to be jut a bacterial bloom. As the water warms up and there's more light available, nutrients will increase in the pond and this will encourage bacteria, algae and animal life in the pond. It's showing something is out if balance, but the cloudy water won't bother the fish. I think most people with ponds go through a phase of having to put a bit more work into maintenance this around this time of year. There are a lot of fish in there, and that wont help matters. the sturgeon is not a sensible inhabitant though, you have a reasonable sized pond but that's not big enough for a sturgeon, even if its a sterlet, I wouldn't recommend housing one in a garden pond. Koi should reach about three feet in length at full size... So I would actually recommend rehoming them. Keeping it just to goldfish will give you larger, happier goldfish. Remember they will reach about 12" long. Don't drive yourself crazy by trying to get things perfect, you could end up making things worse by trying to work against nature. I would also recommend cleaning the bottom of the pond a little more often, but do it in sections, you don't want it to be too clean, you need the bacteria and insect life that will be present in a mature pond, but you don't want to allow too much gunk to build up and be rotting away at the bottom either. I would try reducing the amount of food you are adding for now until pond starts to clear up, the fish will not starve, they will find other things to eat in the pond anyway. :)
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 14/6/2013 18:14
Re: Losing patience !! #5
I've just cleaned out the filter again in pond water of coarse and I've removed the skimmer so all the water is coming from the pump direct into the filter and I'll keep my eyes open for a bottom drain fingers crossed it gets better
mellybob mellybob
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2013 20:33
Re: Losing patience !! #6
Hi i have just gone through the exact same thing ... i have now got a 'polisher' which is basically a filter full of purely fine filtration media 2 foam pads and 2 wool fleece layers. I have also just replaced my sponges/foam filters in my main filter i thought it was just the aquatic place trying to sell me something but true to his word the sponges had shrunk!!!

i added the 'polisher' the day before replacing the sponges in my other one so im not entirely sure which worked most but after 24hrs running my water is crystal clear and all 6 level that i test my pond for are perfect.

the polisher was purely home mad ( i bought sheets of fine filter foam and fleece and cut to the size i needed)it cost £30 in total!!!

hope this helps
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 8/7/2013 16:41
Re: Losing patience !! #7
Just a quick update on the water situation, while on holiday last week we nipped into world of water in Bicester and was discussing my water problem everything he suggested I had already tried so no joy there but he did suggest that my pond was under filtered and recommended a new oase screenomatic filter but even with a bit off £900 still had me in shock especially since I hadn't long paid £400 for my oase filtoclear 30000 so I tried the cheaper option of replacing the original 13 sponges with 9 new ones and hey presto less than 24 hours later a crystal clear pond again.
I,ll just have to see how long it lasts now
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 11/7/2013 9:46
Re: Losing patience !! #8
4 days that's how long my clear pond lasted I'll clean out the sponges tonight im hoping that they may just be chocked from having to initially clean the pond when the water was really green but we'll see or not as the case maybe