splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/5/2013 12:45
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #111
Hi Violet

Thanks for your reply. It is reassuring to know that excel worked really well for you. As per your advice I will only be using the standard dose. Is there a right or wrong time of the day to dose?

As I will be doing my pwc this afternoon, I guess I will have to dose in the late afternoon. The tank will probably have it's lights on for about 3 hours afterwards. I normally use Seacham flourish immediately after my PWC(just 1/2 dose and I then give the 2nd 1/2 dose on a Wednesday. Will this routine still be good when I'm using Excel?

Once you started using excel did you continue on using daily or was it just a means of dealing with an algae issue and stop once the problem is sorted?

Thanks

Splash

Quote:

violet wrote:
I used Seachem Flourish Excel to great affect in the trop planted tank to reduce hair and staghorn algae. That and reduced lighting (via timer) to give a siesta worked wonders. The staghorn turned pink and then disappeared more or less.

Dosage is:

Quote:
use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L. Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L daily or every other day.

Adding a little daily worked for me. I certainly didn't need to double/treble the dose. I've only seen that recommended in planting forums where the tank is uber heavily planted - think 2/3rds chock full.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 4/5/2013 14:27
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #112
I dosed in the evening just before the main lights came on when I got home from work. To coincide with the lights needing co2. But you can do morning if easier for your routine.

Yes, I dosed both Excel flourish and liquid ferts 'daily'. I just took the weekly amount for both and then divided by 7. Small baby syringe very helpful
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 4/5/2013 17:06
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #113
Hi Viiolet

PWC completed. I added my Flourish Excel and Flourish. I've had to give the sponges in the filter another clean (in old tank water)...they were so dirty I now seem to have gently swaying plants again. The Platies are having loads of fun swimming against the current.

I'm guessing that the state of my filter sponges had reduced the tank flow enough to allow the algae to take hold. I'm just so nervous of over cleaning the sponges that I probably have been under cleaning. Found three pest snails in the juwel filter housing...that was a shock, I though that the tank was snail free. I guess it is not any more. What is is a sensible regime for gentle cleaning of filter sponges?

Splash
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/5/2013 17:17
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #114
As soon as you see a reduction in flow (or once a month if not), take the sponges and swish them in a bucket of used tank water. Clean off any obvious thick gunk and if necessary clean the filter outlet and impeller. Don't go mad, but at the same time remember that the bacteria secrete a sticky substance which holds them quite firmly to the media so a thorough but gentle clean should do no damage.
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 5/5/2013 8:13
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #115
Quote:

Fishlady wrote: Don't go mad, but at the same time remember that the bacteria secrete a sticky substance which holds them quite firmly to the media so a thorough but gentle clean should do no damage.

Morning

You are quite right about the bacteria being sticky. Despite me having to clean the filters again yesterday - (the old tank water afterwards resembling liquid chocolate in colour )all is well with my water quality. Since the PWC I have completed three ammonia and nitrite tests and am very relieved to see yellow and blue.

If I have a lighting siesta, does it have to be in equal parts, or can I do 5.5 hours on, 2 hours off and then 4 hours on?

Splash
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/5/2013 20:55
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #116
It's better to have shorter periods with light so on a 2 photo period schedule you'd be best with an even split - this method helps because algae likes long continuous lighting periods; shorter, interrupted lighting is disruptive to it. 5 1/2 hours in one stretch may be enough to allow it to establish so i would advise against that.
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 6/5/2013 12:47
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #117
Quote:

Fishlady wrote:
It's better to have shorter periods with light so on a 2 photo period schedule you'd be best with an even split - this method helps because algae likes long continuous lighting periods; shorter, interrupted lighting is disruptive to it. 5 1/2 hours in one stretch may be enough to allow it to establish so i would advise against that.

Thanks for your reply. Would it be OK for plants & fish but bad for algae to run this schedule. Lights on 7.30am (dose with plant food and excel) lights off 11.30am, lights back on 3.30pm and off again 7.30pm. Little Splash likes the tank light to be on before she goes to school so that she can feed her fish. The only option that would work for us would be lights on 9am (dose with plant food and excel) off at 1pm, back on again at 3.30pm and off again 7.30pm.

Or is it possible to have more than one light siesta? Does the lights on and lights off upset the fish?

Splash
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 8/5/2013 22:07
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #118
Just a quick update

I've been dosing with excel for the past 5 days (standard dose). combined with a siesta on the tank lighting. The stag horn algae has changed colour....it has gone from a grey/black to a red/orange. The plants are sprouting new green leaves, but slowly. Fish seem really happy and lively.

So far, so good.

Splash
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 13/5/2013 21:00
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #119
I'm looking for some advice here.

As you all know, I am currently fighting an outbreak of staghorn algae in Little Splash's tank. It is now 10 days since I started treating daily with Seachem Excel and daily ferts (1/7 of the weekly dose). Tank lights are on for 8 hours a day in total, with a siesta of 2.5 hours after the first 4 hours. The only current tank inhabitants are 4 Platys. We will be introducing some Cherry Shrimp in a few weeks time.

The plants do seem to be growing better and are putting out new green leaves. But I have noticed that after a few days even the new leaves are becoming covered in a brown/green algae. Do I need to adjust my ferts/CO2 dosing to prevent this occurring.

Thanks

Splash
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2013 22:07
Re: Little Splash's tank - part 2 #120
I seem to be having some "health" issues with my plants

For the past few weeks I have noticed that all the new leaves on the Anubias Nana Petite are a much paler green than the older leaves, but the veins are a more normal darker green. This was happening during the stag horn algae outbreaks and has continued since dosing with Seachem Excel. Suggestions please.

Thank you

Splash