Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/5/2013 12:45
dirty tank #1
Hi Guys,

I've noticed that my tank is getting quite a lot of dirt on the plants and decorative items, is this normal or am I missing something. It's happened on all 3 of my tanks since I started fiahkeeping and they gradually get dirtier and dirtier.

Any ideas welcomed, I do a 25% water change weekly and clean the tank at the same time. I have mostly real plants with a very large piece of monapoli root wood (sorry about the spelling) with a few other decroative items, caves etc.
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/5/2013 16:59
Re: dirty tank #2
It depends what you mean by dirt really and how much it's accumulating. It's all a bit subjective as a dirty tank to one person might seem reasonably clean to another.

If it's bits of fish poo and uneaten food you should be able to syphon it off as you do your water changes. If it's algae, then as long as it isn't excessive I wouldn't worry about it. If it bothers you, you can always take decorations out and give them a scrub to remove it.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 7/5/2013 17:22
Re: dirty tank #3
I have the same problem to, can't tell what is it but from my guess it's decomposing aquarium fertilizer substrate under the gravel when setting up the tank (they were like pellet from the start but after like half a year they turn muddy). It supposes to stay forever under the gravel layer but MTS keep digging them up.

No ammonia/nitrite problem with that, the tank just look dirty.
I don't what to do but let it be
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 7/5/2013 17:51
Re: dirty tank #4
Anywhere where you have water, a food source and light - will equal slime/algae/general fluff in time. Even our dry houses get mucky without a good clean and spruce up of course.

Plants can be replaced or snipped, glass wiped down and ornaments scrubbed. Gravel hovered. No tank is ever going to be 100% pristine unless you are undertaking a maintenance and cleaning regime daily, which is unrealistic for most fish keepers.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 8/5/2013 8:42
Re: dirty tank #5
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad its not just me!
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams
Misha Misha
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 8/5/2013 12:56
Re: dirty tank #6
Have had this going on in my tank too. I do water changes often but there's brown stuff on leaves a lot of the time.