Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 7:57
New stock #1
Hi All,

I've now upgraded my tank to a 125 litre and am successufully using a eheim 2213 pump.

I want to add a few more fish now, and I am wondering what my options are. My current stock is below in my signature, i'm looking to get a Bristle Nose Plec and maybe another shoaling group.

I don't want to over stock and have monitored my Nitrate levels for a few weeks now which are stable at around 10.

Any sugestions welcomed
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams
IckleFish IckleFish
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 15:27
Re: New stock #2
I think you should up your stock of Cherry Barbs a bit, 5 is probably on the border line of being able to see natural behaviour, if you up this to say 8 or 10 your more likely to see them reacting as they would in their natural environment. Plus its likely to keep any potential future nippiness within the group and not spreading to your other fish.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 15:45
Re: New stock #3
It'd be nice to increase the number of cherry but your tank is currently at it's limit
According to the stocking rule ( 2.5cm adult fish length per 4.5l of water), your stock is at 120l. Your tank is 125l but with substrate, decorations and filters, it'll be less than 120l.

My suggestion is best not to add anymore fish, 5 is not an ideal number but they'll still be fine. Cherry barbs are also active swimmers so they require plenty of space too.
Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 16:24
Re: New stock #4
Thanks both.

Nathan - the figures you quoted I thought were for a new setup? My tank has been running for a looonnnng time now and as my nitrate levels are stable and low I assumed that I could now add stock?
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams
IckleFish IckleFish
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 16:47
Re: New stock #5
Im not sure where Nathan is getting his information from, I have put your details into AquaAdvisor and bar the I guessed with the Cockatoo Apisto.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.ph ... short&AqSearchMode=simple

Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cherry Barb.
Warning: At least 5 x Gardneri Killifish are recommended in a group.

Recommended temperature range: 25 - 25 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 6.5 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 6 - 15 dH.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 204%.Help on Filtration capacity
Recommended water change schedule: 18% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 66%. [Generate Image]Help on Generate Image

Thats based on 125 liters, for 120 liters its -

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 204%.Help on Filtration capacity
Recommended water change schedule: 19% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 68%. [Generate Image]Help on Generate Image
IckleFish IckleFish
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 16:50
Re: New stock #6
That said I think Aquadvisor errs on the side of caution, I would up your killis to 5 and up your barb to at least 8 and you should still have room for a pair of BN
Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 17:07
Re: New stock #7
Thanks Icklefish.

I have steel blue killifish and I know they fight if there are 2 males or more, I could add a female - I did in fact but they became very aggressive as they bred.

I have, I think 2 Male Rams so breeding isn't a problem with them, although I'm not 100% on that.
Best Regards

Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 17:39
Re: New stock #8
I've heard that that site has some problem with tank capacity

The stocking rule I metioned is used by most people here.

I understand that your tank has a good filter but bacteria do require certain volume of water to support certain amount. Also bacteria use chemicals (kH) in water to turn NH3 to NO3, that's why we do water change and with more stock, the water will become more unstable.
The rule 2.5cm adult length per 4.5l of water is use for both fish swimming space and keeping the water stable.

Your tank could go a little over-stock with 8 cherry barbs but it's definitely not a good idea to have anything more.
However it's your decision

IckleFish
The site you're using gave some serious wrong information sometimes. We'll see what other will say about this
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 3/5/2013 17:43
Re: New stock #9
Also killi fish are definitely not shoal fish and they're also territorial especially with another male in the tank.

5 more killis will definitely makes things go really bad.

That's an example to see how wrong the calculator is. I think it only calculate the water volume require for each fish but never smart enough to consider many other real factors