Dorsy Dorsy
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/4/2013 18:52
yoyo loach / pakistani loach #1
Folks, please help

I'm trying to get some new Pakistani loaches as I only have one left following a recent infection which killed off my little loach family.
The problem I'm having is that everyone keeps trying to give me yoyo loaches,im sorry, to me they are not the same fish! I have had some yoyos in there with my Pakistani loner and the differences were tremendous. Not only do they have very different colourings, they are smaller than yoyos and their temperament is completely different.

If anybody can help with the scientific name for Pakistani loaches that would be great as I'm really struggling to find it as all websites seem to beunder the same notion that they are one un the same just different names....I don't believe this.

Thanks
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/4/2013 19:21
Re: yoyo loach / pakistani loach #2
I've never kept these but I believe there is quite a difference in patterning between adults and juveniles try google images to see if this is the reason
If www.loaches.com says they are the same fish I'd take their word for it ...

Can't have a look for you atm as on hols with snail speed wifi
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/4/2013 19:37
Re: yoyo loach / pakistani loach #3
Pakistan Loach and YoYo Loach are both common names for Botia almorhae. Youngsters have a pattern that appears to spell "YoYo" on their sides, hence the name. As they get older the pattern fills in and changes to more of a reticulated one. Juveniles in shops are usually small and quite slim but as they grow to around the 4 inch mark, their growth in length slows down and they start to fill out and become more substantial, much the way Clown Loaches do.They aren't fully mature until they hit about 5-6 inches so it can be a good three or moe years before they start to lose the "YoYo" pattern

Here's a pic of one of mine for reference:

Resized Image

The profile on Loaches.com includes a photo of the reticulated pattern on a mature adult.
Dorsy Dorsy
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Posted on: 27/4/2013 21:52
Re: yoyo loach / pakistani loach #4
Managed to get a pick of my loach, its had the same colouringsince the day I got it about 2 years ago, as did its partners who died. I was thinking maybe its a zebra loach instead of Pakistani as originally sold to me, but the marking doesn't match that either.....I want it to have the right species with it again...not a different family :(

Attach file:

jpg  (268.77 KB)
14153_517c3a7d10b75.jpg 1280X960 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/4/2013 22:10
Re: yoyo loach / pakistani loach #5
That's a Polka dot Loach (Botia kubotai)
Dorsy Dorsy
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Posted on: 27/4/2013 22:23
Re: yoyo loach / pakistani loach #6
Fishlady, you are the best. Just looked it up on loach.com, that's it!!!! :) epic fail on behalf of my lfs who sold them to me originally as Pakistani loaches......thank you so much....can't believe I've been calling it something its not for all this time.
Lfs phone call tomorrow methinks!!! :)