craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/3/2013 0:00
Water quality #1
Hi everyone, just a quick post to see if my set up is ok and to make sure what im doing is right !

I did a 25% weekly water change last night and performed a test on my water quality today.

My results follow

Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Ph 6.2

Should i be worried about my level of ammonia ? If so do i just reduce it by water changes ?

I have a 180L tank and i am running a Fluval 204 external filter. Is this big enough ? I am cleaning the filter pads with tank water weekly also.

Thanks for taking time to read
Craig
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 23/3/2013 1:20
Re: Water quality #2
Hi Craig!
From your previous post I suppose you're still cycling the tank and don't have any fish yet?

If so then you don't have to do water change unless the cycle is fully completely.

And cleaning the pads should be done like once every 2 weeks, not really necessary to be done weekly.

Last thing is the ammonia, it's very poisonous and 0.25ppm is enough to consider toxic. Doing water change won't really help, you should add more ammonia(to 4ppm) and wait for 24 hours then test for the water again. If ammonia still present that means your tank is not cycled
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 23/3/2013 1:25
Re: Water quality #3
hi thanks for your reply

My last post was ages ago and this is a tank that has been running for a good 5 months now !

I had got a bit lazy and i haven't been doing my tests and i just assumed if i was changing 25% of the water once a week that would be enough.

Lesson 1 here is not to get lazy again !

What can i do to lower my level of ammonia ?
Is my filter powerful enough ?
Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/3/2013 2:18
Re: Water quality #4
1ppm ammonia is very bad news. Fortunately as your pH is so low the bulk of the ammonia is in a less toxic form, but the truth is there should never be any detectable ammonia in a fully cycled tank, correctly stocked and maintained.

The immediate issue is to deal with that ammonia, so follow this guide to dealing with ammonia/nitrite spikes for that.

We also need to work out what's gone wrong so can you post back with a full list of the stock in your tank: which species' do you have and how many of each?

How often have you been changing water, how much each time ann when was the last water change?

What is the pH of your tap water tested straight from the tap?

What is the pH of a sample of tap water when tested after 24 hours standing in a clean container?

How hard is your water?

What is the nitrate level in your tap water?
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 3/4/2013 20:47
Re: Water quality #5
Hi Fishlady

I'm so sorry for the late reply !
I have had internet issues and i can't seem to log in on my phone !

I read your post though and have followed your advice to try and get to the bottom of the problem. I have been doing weekly water changes of 25% for the last 4 months and after my water levels being great for the first 2months of having my tank I became lazy and didn't perform tests on my water quality.

When i decided to do a test i found the results i previously posted. I have now managed to get my ammonia level down to 0.25 ppm.

I have changed my filter but managed to keep the same media and my tank water is circulating so much better. I'm hoping this will help also with my water quality.

My fish stock at the moment is
1 angel fish
4 silver dollars
1 porthole catfish
1 gibby pleco

My friend is taking my silver dollars and my angel fish for his 4ft tank as they will be better off in there than in my 3ft !

He is taking them in the morning so this should also help me get my water levels back on track !!

How much water should I be changing to help me fight my ammonia levels ?

Thanks for you time !!
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/4/2013 21:19
Re: Water quality #6
Yes, you need to reduce ammonia with daily water changes. Change 50% of the water and the ammonia ppm will fall by 50%.

As the filters play catch up, you may need to do daily changes for a little while.

I've not kept portholes before, but if SF is anything to go by, they do far better in a small group and behave more naturally...

Seriously Fish linky here (well respected site) : http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dianema-longibarbis

As for the Gibby. Oh my! At 17 to 20 inches when mature and an uber messy fish (that = uber filtration and tank size), you may wish to reconsider this fishy medium term

Planet catfish linky here (another well repected site in fishkeeping circles):
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dianema-longibarbis/

Your local water supply readings for GH would be helpful so we can check fish are suited too? The pH seems OK though
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 3/4/2013 23:34
Re: Water quality #7
Hi violet, thanks for your time

I will continue with my water changes until i loose the ammonia !

I am going to get some more portholes as soon as i have sorted my water quality out but thanks for the advice :)

As for my plec ....... he came with my tank and i love him !! So as he grows I am gonna upgrade my tank !
What size thank will i need when he is fully grown ?

Tap Water pH 7.5
Tap Water Nitrate 0-10ppm
Tap Water General Hardness (GH) 0 to 70ppm
Tap Water Carbonate Hardness (KH) 0 to 70ppm

Thanks for your time !
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/4/2013 0:20
Re: Water quality #8
Quote:

craig_h wrote:

As for my plec ....... he came with my tank and i love him !! So as he grows I am gonna upgrade my tank !
What size thank will i need when he is fully grown ?

At least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft - that's what I have planned for my plec later this year who's about 14" long, but yours could grow bigger