Animal Welfare Vote
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 16/3/2013 12:18
In praise of ..... Easycarbo #1
I love to look at planted tanks but I can't be fiddling with fancy lighting, CO2, EI dosing etc. - I like the undemanding ...
BUT I must say my temperate tank is looking greatly improved - minimal algae and lots of new growth on java fern, thanks to daily dose of Easycarbo, and it's low tech enough - even I can't complain about using a plastic pipette to add a couple of ml daily
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/3/2013 13:27
Re: In praise of ..... Easycarbo #2
I am using neutro co2 but think I have overdosed too much to get the algae sorted!

The tips of my java fern,especially the new growth and young leaves have gone translucent from the tip for about 1/2 inch

I have now reduced the dosage to rec levels and hope I have not done permanent damage.
Original Image
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 16/3/2013 13:59
Re: In praise of ..... Easycarbo #3
I assume that is similar stuff?
Remind me, what sort(s) of algae?
I am using barely the recommended dose but I did manually remove algae first.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/3/2013 15:06
Re: In praise of ..... Easycarbo #4
Hi Cathie,
Yes it is very similar. I had about 3 different kinds of algae to start with. Brown and BBA being the worst. It has all but disappeared now

I installed a circulation pump running at 800lph,my eheim also runs at 950lph.I also overdosed the liquid carbon. The stated dose was 3ml daily and I gradually upped it to 5ml daily.

I had started to gradually reduce the dosage as the algae lessened but I noticed a couple of days ago that the younger leaves on the java fern had been affected.

The odd young crypt leaf died back and one Amazon sword leaf.

I am now dosing with the right dose of 3ml. I am thinking of using co2 but it is very expensive to set up. I would use a DIY co2 setup but not sure how effective or indeed safe it would be.
Original Image
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/3/2013 15:07
Re: In praise of ..... Easycarbo #5
I'm also using netruo c02, it's the same stuff more or less as easy carbo, but a wee bit cheaper. I've just noticed some of my new growth java ferns are also translucent at the tips, not sure if this is normal or not, I've never paid much attention to them before!

I dose at the recommended levels but don't think I've noticerd much improvement to growth rate yet. I started dosing around the time I got some ottos in there, though, which are definitely the main reason the algae is under control. (Introduced them a couple of months ago).
mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/3/2013 15:13
Re: In praise of ..... Easycarbo #6
I do have nerite snails which do a good job on the algae but are a bit too heavy to work on the plants.
Original Image