iBeech iBeech
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/3/2013 10:11
Woke up to find heater smashed?! #1
Got up this morning, inspected the tank as usual to find a shard of glass on the bottom of the gravel. I then noticed that the heater looked like it had water in it, and was all rank looking.

I then realized that the glass shard was the bottom of the heater! I promptly took the heater out. The filements are all broken, and a large crack up the side of the heater.

My fish are now without heat, as myself and my fiancee are at work until 7.

Thankfully we only have 3 danios in the tank, so my question is,will they be ok until later?!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/3/2013 10:28
Re: Woke up to find heater smashed?! #2
If your house is heated Danios will be fine without a heater as they are temperate fish. If the tank temperature stays above 16C they'll have no problems. When you replace the heater, note the temperature of the water and set the heater only a degree higher. Wait 12 hours and raise by 1 more degree and so on as rapid changes in temperature are harmful. 20C is the best temperature to maintain a Danio tank at.
iBeech iBeech
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 8/3/2013 10:34
Re: Woke up to find heater smashed?! #3
thanks. i knew i had remote central heating controls fitted for a reason- and this is that reason! Is there an appropriate room temperature i can set?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/3/2013 10:47
Re: Woke up to find heater smashed?! #4
Hi

Yes, if you set the room temp to 20C they should be absolutely fine
iBeech iBeech
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 8/3/2013 11:32
Re: Woke up to find heater smashed?! #5
nice one- done!

rang pets at home- they have a stock of these heaters- which suggests to me that this is a common problem :(