GillyBeanz GillyBeanz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/2/2013 21:30
Fin Rot with 1 female Mollie and possible Ich with a rasbora, no QT, help pls? #1
Hi,

Subject line says it all really, just looking for some advice on tried and tested cures for these fungal diseases.

Here's all the info.. In the past ive used myxazin but caused more problems than solutions, rather not use meds. I don't have a quarantine tank although I have a spare heater so I'm open to ideas of making a temporary tank if necessary using a bucket or something but I don't have a spare filter. Apart from all colours of algae (covering my plants and background) and a fluctuating temp (between 25-27c) all fish are happy lively feeding well.

The female Mollie is overweight and I put her in a breeding trap and restricted her flake to 1 a day instead of her gobbling up the lot, she lost no weight and looked very pee'd off and miserable so I gave up after a 4 days but since then she got a small white lump on her back fin and today I noticed a chunk has gone from it. She has a boyfriend who is a persistent sex pest but no babies after 6 months of having them and she never seems bothered of his hounding. I do wonder if this missing chunk was his doing but this hasn't happened before in all this time.

Rasbora.. Well one of his mates got some whitish fungus on him a couple of months ago and over a few weeks it got the better of him so I put him out his misery. This one seems ok at the mo but it looks the same as before so I'd like to save him too if I can.

120L Lido, Planted with Bogwood and sand (persistent algae problem that's another story for another day)
Temp 27- 25c (temp seems to fluctuate..another issue!)
7 harlequin rasbora
4 white skirt tetra
2 sail fin mollies 1 male 1 female
4 very young Julli Corys (new additions)
Assassin snails

NO3 0
NO2 0
ammonia 0
GH 180
KH 240
PH 8.0
Weekly 25% water changes using Prime conditioner
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/2/2013 21:39
Re: Fin Rot with 1 female Mollie and possible Ich with a rasbora, no QT, help pls? #2
Well long term I'd be looking to restock with all hard wtaer fish given your parameters, but if you have ongoing ich and fin rot I recommend eSHa 2000 for the fin rot and eSHa Exit for white spot. Myxazin is good for fungal/bacterial issues like the fin rot, but won't touch white spot which is a parasite. When Myxazin fails, eSHa 2000 often works for fin rot and it can be simultaneously dosed with Exit for the white spot.

One condern is your 0 nitrate reading. That is very odd in a cycled tank. Which test kit are you using? What is the nitrate level in your tap water?
GillyBeanz GillyBeanz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 27/2/2013 21:54
Re: Fin Rot with 1 female Mollie and possible Ich with a rasbora, no QT, help pls? #3
The kits I use are Api test kits that are liquid droppers and for the hardiness and ph I use a strip test from Api, the strip says 40 for nitrate but I always thought the dropper tests were more reliable ?! :-/ liquid test is very yellow maybe a very slight orange tinge, card says 0ppm orange would be 5.0ppm but its def not orange.

How will the meds suggested effect my other fish? my Corys are quite young and they are thriving and growing I don't want to jeopardise the other fishes health.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/2/2013 22:27
Re: Fin Rot with 1 female Mollie and possible Ich with a rasbora, no QT, help pls? #4
eSHa meds are usually very safe, even for more sensitive species' as long as you stick to the right dose. If you have ich you need to treat the whole tank as the parasites will have infected all fish even if symptoms are not visible yet.

Nitrate readings should be higher than that in a cycled tank with that amount of stock. As the final product of the cycle they are only removed by water changes and 25% a week would not keep them at such a low level to be honest.

The liquid tests are far more accurate then the paper strips, but the API liquid nitrate test in particular needs to be followed exactly as directed and the second bottle usually needs banging on a hard surface as well as 30 seconds extremely vigorous shaking. This is because the contents settle out of solution and if not banged/shaken enough the test gives a false low reading. Depending on how long you've had it and how much has been used, it might need replacing as if the shaking hasn't previously been vigorous enough the ratio of constiruents will have changed and it may no longer be reliable.
GillyBeanz GillyBeanz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 27/2/2013 23:12
Re: Fin Rot with 1 female Mollie and possible Ich with a rasbora, no QT, help pls? #5
Ok ill try locating these meds and give them a try, will my carbon filter sponge need removing whilst i dose? Any others?

The juwel filter system has a nitrate green sponge in which I renewed about a month ago..2 weeks later I replaced the carbon black sponge and cotton pads and a week after that I replaced the course blue sponge, leaving one other old blue filter sponge remaining with the old bacteria.. Perhaps this could explain the zero nitrates.. I always thought the aim was to have zero nitrates and never thought to question the readings. Come to think of it I've never had any nitrate readings above 0 since I got the lido. My old biorb was bad for nitrates and came to the conclusion it was inadequate filtering, a common report for biorbs.

Thanks for the advice on the test kit ill try again tomorrow and see if iget a different reading.
GillyBeanz GillyBeanz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 2/3/2013 23:55
Re: Fin Rot with 1 female Mollie and possible Ich with a rasbora, no QT, help pls? #6
So i definitely wasn't using the test kit properly! Oops! Nitrates are more 40ppm! Thanks again Fishlady, now I know those kits need shaking till my arms fall off in order to give a proper reading.

I done my usual water change with Prime water conditioner, waters been left for 4 days before adding to the tank.. Its reading 40ppm and so is the tank water still. Will I ever get it lower? Is 40ppm a safe level?

I'm still trying to find the eSHa meds.. Hoping Mordon aquatics have it tomorrow.