Mr_Ian Mr_Ian
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Humberside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/2/2013 15:59
Young Paradise Fish: Swimming Issues #1
Hi
I have recently added several young (around 7 months old) Paradise Fish to a new tank I have had cycling since Christmas and all apart from one seem to be doing well. The one who isn't seems to be having difficulties swimming. In order to move this fish seems to have to move it's tail fin much more rapidly than the others and seems to struggle staying any deeper in the water than just below the surface for more than a few seconds (seems to struggle to swim deeper then quickly floats back to the top). Looking carefully at it, its tail fin seems to bend to one side rather than lay straight. None of these fish are bought from a pet shop as were all rescued from a tank they were born into, that was too small to house so many fish. As I am new to fish keeping I was wondering if these are symptoms of any illness that anyone knows of and if so how would I treat it?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/2/2013 17:03
Re: Young Paradise Fish: Swimming Issues #2
There's a good care sheet here for thr fish. Do watch out for aggression though, these are not community fish and TBH don't like each other much really!

AFF caresheet:
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=203

It sounds more genetic than a treatable illness with meds, really.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/2/2013 18:13
Re: Young Paradise Fish: Swimming Issues #3
Watch them really closely, as soon as they get big enough they start trying to form territories and it gets very nasty. I have three in my community tank and the two females are troublesome little devils!
Mr_Ian Mr_Ian
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Humberside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/2/2013 18:59
Re: Young Paradise Fish: Swimming Issues #4
Thanks for the advice, hopefully despite it's difficulties it will settle in fine, (chances are it will be one of the ones I keep in my tank).

We originally bought a male and female pair as the only fish to go in a tank we have set up in my classroom at school. Clearly the fish settled into the tank well as it wasn't long before they had created a bubble nest and a large amount of fry hatched. Of those most got eaten, but 9 escaped the parents attention. But as you say they dont mix well in groups and it soon became clear the tank was too small for them all. Of the 9 I have managed to give 2 away so far and have bought myself and set up a new tank for the others whilst I continue to look for new homes for them. I plan to keep one male and a couple of female but as they are still quite small I am finding it difficult to tell the difference just yet (either that or they are all the same, although one seems to be 'the runt of the litter' as is tiny compared to the others.)I appreciate the advice though as am still finding my feet with maintaining an aquarium.