ianbo ianbo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/2/2013 19:33
oyster shells in filter to stabilse ph #1
I normally use pH buffer,however I have been led to believe that crushed oyster shells in the filter can hold the pH to 7.5.where I live rainfall keeps diluting Ph to a more acidic level.

I have some additive that looks like coral/shells that I bought a while ago and I thought I would try it .I normally buffer up at 7 pH to 7.5 but I feel it would be better not to have to so often.

Has anyone any experience of using this alternative to buffering.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 14/2/2013 20:00
Re: oyster shells in filter to stabilse ph #2
Yes, I think quite a few people here with soft water who have harder water fish buffer up.

I don't have a pond, just a tank but I use bicarb of soda (do not confuse with baking soda) to raise KH, thus raising pH and epsom salts to increase GH.

Some crushed coral/oyster shell (in a baggy in the tank) to increase KH too, as whilst bicarb and epsom salts are instant for fresh water, the crushed shell works over a longer time period of course and gives (well in my tank certainly, an element of stability that I seemed to struggle with previously).
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
ianbo ianbo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/2/2013 20:50
Re: oyster shells in filter to stabilse ph #3
Thanks Violet. I buffer it up normally but it is more the holding of the Ph over a longer period of time that I am interested in and I think the more stable conditions are the better for the fish. Food for thought.I will give it a try
Thanks
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 14/2/2013 20:54
Re: oyster shells in filter to stabilse ph #4
Will defo work

I use about 3 large heaped soup spoons or so in the 180 litre in the end of a pop sock.

Not sure how much you would need given pond size (quite a bit though) but start with less and add gradually over a few weeks would be my advice. You can track it that way and pH increases should be done gradually of course.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti