sylv2704 sylv2704
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/2/2013 20:32
I think my fighting fish is depressed :( #1
I'm hoping someone can help me. My fighting fish hasn't eaten anything in nearly 10 days & I'm getting worried he's gong to starve to death. He shows no interest in anything & only moves to breath. I can't see any visible signs of any disease & I would say if anything he looked depressed. I've tried tempting him with blood worms, brine shrimp & peas but he's not interested. I've also added some Esha 2000 incase he has got something up with him.

Nothing has changed recently in his life. I've had him for approx 6 months. He lives in a 60 litre tank with a few glolight tetras and corydoras fish and some live plants. I've tested the water & that's fine & 25 degrees. All the other fish are eating & acting normally. I've run out of ideas & worry he's running out of time. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/2/2013 21:01
Re: I think my fighting fish is depressed :( #2
"Fine" water...you know the drill S

What's the pH (GH and KH if you have it), ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels tonight?

Given the Glowlights and Cory, combined in shoals of 6 or more min (as needed) would generally need 120l...

Could be water quality perhaps or more likely AFAIK stress related from the glowlights in his *territory*. They may be fin nipping him although glowlights are generally very placid. Bottom hugging cory unlikely to freak him in this respect....

There really is a reason why FK recommends Male Betta (SFF) be kept alone in a species tank, min 45 litres. These are not community fish
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
sylv2704 sylv2704
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/2/2013 22:54
Re: I think my fighting fish is depressed :( #3
Thank you for your reply.

Ammonia & nitrite 0. Nitrate 10. I did a water change before I started treating with the Esha 2000. Ph 7.

I did have 10 tetras but sadly 5 have passed away over the years, leaving behind 5. I only have 4 corydoras, I didn't realise I should have more. Should I get another 2 or is my tank too small? The tetras very rarely come above the bottom half but about a month ago I did notice 1 of them had a nipped tail so something obviously goes on when I'm not looking - they generally look very innocent! The fighting fish generally lives in the floating plants at the top.

The fighting fishs' belly could be slightly swollen sidewards with very slightly raised scales(only on the belly). I'm not sure if he's always been like this or if it's a recent thing. I've not scrutinised him so much as I have the last few days. It doesn't look anything like the photos on google for dropsy but maybe he is in the very early stages? It's nearly 10 days since he's eaten.

Also, I've treated Esha 2000 for 3 days now. In the instructions it says you can repeat for several more days if necessary. Do you know how long you can treat with this? Thanks.