« 1 (2)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/1/2013 22:25
Re: The Official Aquaponics Thread #11
It won't be under a hood. The tank will be open topped with a luminaire as while I really like the idea of growing plants up top, I don't want to reduce the tank water level by too much as I still want a decent amount of fish in the water. So I don't think high humidity plants are an option.

In your larger set up what are the plants actually planted in? Or are they purely growing in the water? How do you hold them in place? I see the diagram has planting media, but how do you stop that from being washed into the tank? I'm probably missing something obvious, as I'm well-known for that (ask my OH)
Critch Critch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 25/1/2013 22:41
Re: The Official Aquaponics Thread #12
That's funny Fish lady, you are going along the same lines as me,
I have had a few ideas, I will post some badly draw pictures tomorrow of a few ideas I came up with,

I have been planning and pestering onyxia now re this,
Still not sure regards substrate, but have it on good authority riverbank or marsh clay is the way to go

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!
I dont keep fish i keep water the fish are only there for decoration
Brigitte Brigitte
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 25/1/2013 23:45
Re: The Official Aquaponics Thread #13
Brilliant thread Onyxia! One day when I have more time and space I would love to give something like this a go

Quote:

Fishlady wrote:
It won't be under a hood. The tank will be open topped with a luminaire as while I really like the idea of growing plants up top, I don't want to reduce the tank water level by too much as I still want a decent amount of fish in the water. So I don't think high humidity plants are an option.

In your larger set up what are the plants actually planted in? Or are they purely growing in the water? How do you hold them in place? I see the diagram has planting media, but how do you stop that from being washed into the tank? I'm probably missing something obvious, as I'm well-known for that (ask my OH)

FL, if I'm not mistaken, Onyxia has the same tank as me, an APS with the internal filter built into the hood as a tray system. I have a couple of pics of my hood from my original setting up blog, one of the basic trays that sit side by side on a runner within the hood (with an access flap/lid) and then one of the plastic baskets that sit inside these trays. I think Onyxia has the baskets in the trays, and has added a planting medium of some sort to the basket for the plants to take root in. The spraybar then lies across the top so the water trickles through the planting medium.

Resized Image

Resized Image
[i][b][color=006600][font=Verdana]"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/1/2013 0:03
Re: The Official Aquaponics Thread #14
I'm using hydroton/hydroballs, its a hydroponic growing media. The balls are bigger than a pea so its easy to keep where you want it. You can also grow in sponge or rock wool or anything porous. The aquaponic/hydroponic principle is that the plants get everything they need (including oxygen) directly from the water column and the planting media gives the roots something to hold to.

Laterite or similar clay stuff would limit you to plants with roots that can tolerate boggy low oxygen conditions. Just think about what happens to a houseplant when you over water it.

edit: yep exactly like Brigitte said
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/1/2013 0:09
Re: The Official Aquaponics Thread #15
Right - I'm getting it now. So it's going to be a matter for me of deciding on the plants I'd like to grow and then going for the option best suited. Some research on suitable plants is next then. Suggestions for either scenario would be gratefully accepted!

I have plenty of time to plan this as it always takes me ages to actually get a plan together, fund it and find the time and energy to put it into action
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 26/1/2013 0:41
Re: The Official Aquaponics Thread #16
Nice thread idea!
I think hydroponics based tanks are one of the things I will have to put on hold until I have my own place (Has anyone seen those window farms where the water drips from one pot to the next and the water is pumped to the top? I'd love one of them). For now I just use the water in the garden.

I think I'm going to have to get a few tanks as I really want a large El natural with emergent plants.
I'm going to be overhauling one of my tanks this spring and changing it to a soil substrate so that should be fun and should help with grasping the basics.

The great thing about terrestrial plants is that they take in lots of nitrates, but then aquatic plants will take in ammonia preferentially right?

Maybe I will end up doing a massive tanks with aspects of both!

@FL Maybe a biotope tank- amazon plants or SE asian plants both spring to mind.

I would love to see a south east asian tank done well with danios, barbs, loaches, rasboras all as possibilities for inclusion.
TK