splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/12/2012 12:58
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #231
Hi

I've just completed my first PWC with fish. They did not seem bothered about my hand in the tank. They were actually really friendly and kept bumping up to my arm.

Little Splash's tanks is actually is holding 55 litres of water. Today I did a 10 litre water change. The nitrate was at 20ppm and after the water change had dropped down to 10ppm (I believe). I do find it hard to distinguish between the two oranges. Is that enough of a water change or should I do 15 litres?

On the subject of Ise, I spoke to the LFS. Unfortunately they do not currently have any blue male Guppies. Would adding some extra Guppies to the tank, even if they are not blue, help the situation? If so, how many extra could we safely take.?

Must admit that since the PWC Ise has been out and about in the open water. Still being picked on but I have seen him raise his dorsal fin and chase off the each of the other Guppies. I've also noticed that everyone seems to try to bump Ise on his right gill, does that mean anything?

Splash
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 2/1/2013 22:48
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #232
Just want to wish everyone a "Happy New Year" and hope that you all had a lovely Christmas/New Year.

Well, harmony seems to have taken over Little Splash's tank. Really happy to report that Ise is still with us and standing up for himself a little more. We have decided that no one is being returned to the LFS.

Mr S wanted to watch feeding time this afternoon with frozen brine shrimp and garlic. He was amazed at the speed they dive down to catch the smallest piece. Little Splash and I think that the tank looks too empty and it needs some more occupants. I have suggested to Little Splash that some more male Guppies would be good, but she has decided against this.

Would Endlers make good tank mates for Guppies? We are also thinking about some Shrimp but I'm really worried about taking care of them properly. Would some MTS be happy to live in micro gravel?

Splash and LIttle Splash
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/1/2013 23:43
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #233
Endler's will be fine, but stick to males as Endler's and Guppies are both of the same genus and will cross-breed.

Cherry shrimps would be fine too. They are one of the hardier shrimps and really as long as you keep the water clean and free from ammonia and nitrite they should do fine, but any shrimplets they produce will probably be eaten by the Guppies.

MTS will be OK with the fine black gravel you have.
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 12/1/2013 14:31
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #234
Hi

I seem to have been very unsuccessful with trying to obtain Endlers :( I just don't fancy the idea of mail order fish

I've just spoken with my "excellent" LFS who have confirmed that they have lots of different coloured male Guppies. Little Splash would like to increase the number of Guppies she has. I'm also hopeful that some more fish will reduce the "picking on" which seems to be becoming quite an issue again :(, especially for Ise. I think he must be a hippy fish because he is so laid back even when being bumped and chased. Watching the behaviour it almost seems as though the other fish think Ise is a female!

So, we currently have four males. The nitrates are rising from a little over 10ppm to about 20ppm (maybe a little more) between weekly water changes. So far, I've not had any ammonia/nitrite spikes. How many more Guppies can Little Splash chose tomorrow?

Thanks

Splash and Little Splash
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 15/1/2013 21:58
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #235
Happy times and also sad times

On Saturday, Little Splash became the proud owner of another three male Guppies. They joined the tank with a hope that it would stop "Ise" being bullied. However, it some become apparent that this was not working.

After watching Ise being "bullied" for over two days...some drastic measures where needed.

On Sunday afternoon, the decision was made...Ise needed to go back to the LFS. Little Splash said her " goodbyes" and I set off, with a heavy heart, having to "give up" on Ise. On arriving at the LFS Ise was placed in an enormous tank and very soon discovered a "lady Guppy". The lady at the LFS did comment how healthy Ise looked and that his colours were vivid.

Little Splash now has six male Guppies in her tank. We have decided to leave the tank for the time being and see if everything settles down.

Splash
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/1/2013 22:01
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #236
Oh what a shame - well done to Little Splash for making the right decision. It sounds like Ise is going to be very happy
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 15/1/2013 22:11
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #237
Quote:

Fishlady wrote:
It sounds like Ise is going to be very happy

Little Splash is over the moon that Ise is going to be a Daddy! which I think has helped her give him up.

Splash
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 18/1/2013 18:15
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #238
A worrying discovery

After school, Little Splash feed her Guppies as normal. Friday night is "pea' night in our house . I always do it the night before my weekly pwc because it is so messy!

We noticed that Thunder has some damage to his tail fin and also his top fin. Neither of us are sure if he has always been like this or whether it has happened in the tank. None of the other Guppies have any "damage".

I've checked carefully and I can't see any obvious infection .

Ideas as to what is going on please.

Splash and LIttle Splash

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate >10ppm as at 2pm this afternoon
Temp 25.5

Attach file:

jpg  (66.49 KB)
15560_50f9912ce5087.jpg 640X480 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 18/1/2013 19:16
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #239
It's hard to say for sure from the picture, but it looks like someone has bitten a chunk from his tail.That could have happened before you had him just as easily as since.

For now, keep the water very clean and watch for any signs of fin rot setting in. If it does, treatment with API Melafix may well sort it out. Also keep an eye out for any of the others harassing him.
splash splash
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2013 10:59
Re: Hi, I'm new and just about to set up my first tank #240
Urgent advice needed

This morning one of the Guppies Darkness was not moving up against the filter inlet. I was sure he was dead. I netted him out and then put him in a small box with tank water. To my amazement he was still alive and breathing. He is currently floating on his back. The only visible damage is to his tail fin. it is all tattered!

What can I do for him and what action do I need to take in the tank. OH has just ventured out in deep snow to get me some Melafix.

Splash