hagertya1 hagertya1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/12/2012 6:38
Goldfish are laying on the bottom of the tank #1
I have had 2 goldfish for a year and a half now and kept them in a 5 gallon tank. They were growing pretty big so I just moved them into a new 20 gallon tank today. They swam around like normal at first but now they're just laying at the bottom of the tank abnormally. I used the 5 gallons of water from the old tank and added new water using the same water conditioner I've always used. I read that the bacteria in the new tank might not be the same as what they're used to? I just put the old filter on from the smaller tank because I read that could help with the problem. Is there anything else I can do? Could there be something else wrong?
hagertya1 hagertya1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 31/12/2012 8:18
Re: Goldfish are laying on the bottom of the tank #2
I also just noticed one of my fish is missing a few scales. I don't think he was missing them before the move, maybe i could have bumped him into the side of the cup when I was scooping them out of the old tank? Can this get infected?
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 31/12/2012 8:31
Re: Goldfish are laying on the bottom of the tank #3
Hi hagertya1!

I'm afraid I have some really bad news for you.
How big is your fish actually? A gold fish at an age of a year and a half would have grown at least the size of human's hand or even bigger.

You've kept them in a 5gallon tank which is way too small for any fish! And having lived there for such a long time definitely have caused them to stunt (Their outside appearance is much smaller than they should but their inner organ is still growing).

Goldfish are pond fish so keeping them in tank is not a good idea, especially that 20 gallon is still way too small for them.

Do you have any filter? Are you aware for the nitrogen cycle?
Losing scales could be caused by ammonia burn in this case. To be honest I don't know if you could save them now. Giving them a big enough tank (200 litres) and a establish filter could help them live a few more years happily :)

Here's a link about the cycle process
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

If you're still doubt about the tanks size and goldfish health. Take a look at this article written by one of the member on this site.
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=29303&forum=1
hagertya1 hagertya1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 31/12/2012 8:58
Re: Goldfish are laying on the bottom of the tank #4
One fish is about 4 inches long and the other is 3. I got a filter for the new tank but at the moment I'm using the smaller one from the old tank to help with the adjustment. And I haven't done any water tests, I need to buy strips. Ugh, I feel so bad for them. Thank you for the links.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 31/12/2012 9:07
Re: Goldfish are laying on the bottom of the tank #5
if you're buying a test kit then i suggest API master test kit than any test strips. I've test strips are inaccurate.

By the way buying the API test kit on Ebay will be cheaper than in fish shop .

If you have any other question, feel free to ask :)
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/12/2012 12:16
Re: Goldfish are laying on the bottom of the tank #6
It sounds like the water you used to top up the tank was different to the water they were in originally and they are in shock. You did the right thing moving over the old filter for them as that will have kept the beneficial bacteria. Theres not much you can do for them now, let them rest and fingers crossed they will pull through.

The tank size and potential water quality issues aren't going to help but I would leave it a day or two before stressing them with more water changes let alone another move.