ianbo ianbo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/12/2012 22:30
treating koi whilst orfe in same pond #1
hi i have been advised to loose the orfe in my pond which i quite like.This is so that I can treat koi for any possible sickness and loof after them.I know orfe are sensative to treatments.Does anybody know if this is going too far?anybody had this problem,I would appreciate your own experiences
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/12/2012 22:53
Re: treating koi whilst orfe in same pond #2
Sounds a bit radical Who was it that advised this? If it was a known koi expert that's one thing, but how much does this source know about koi/orfe/fish in general?
It's Not Just A Fish
ianbo ianbo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 29/12/2012 21:07
Re: treating koi whilst orfe in same pond #3
it was a koi expert who works at cascade watergardens in bury lancashire. i get the impression that it was because i am wanting to put a bit better quality koi in for the better colour and these cost more.i think they are thinking of the best way of looking after the koi.i have had both for a while with no problems.isuppose i wont know for sure until i get a difficult type of parasite to get rid of . thanks for your reply
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 29/12/2012 22:14
Re: treating koi whilst orfe in same pond #4
I can see the reasoning there, would be easier to do if you didn't already have the orfe though There's a school of thought that says if you look after things well then you shouldn't need to worry anyway, but there are never any guarantees.
It's Not Just A Fish
ianbo ianbo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 29/12/2012 22:31
Re: treating koi whilst orfe in same pond #5
Yes I completly agree I have filteration at approx three times above recommended and uv x5 and I also keep my ph at 7.5 and dont let it go below 7 for any period of time so everything seems to look after itself. I also have sick fish screeened for parasites as sooon as there is a problem.I have not had a sick fish for 2 years and it is three years since I lost one. I think the seller was trying to be responable . maybee sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. I dont want to get rid of the orfe they look great especially the blue and I dont think I can do much more. Thanks for responding.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 30/12/2012 2:02
Re: treating koi whilst orfe in same pond #6
Its true that most dedicated koi keepers only have koi.
But if one fish has a problem, you do not treat all the fish for a symptom only one has. (That's the way your post reads)

Instead you have a quarantine tank, as the name suggests its a smaller tank that can hold say 2 fish at most, that you then add what ever water-borne treatment is required, leaving the other fish alone.

I would keep the orfe.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
ianbo ianbo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 31/12/2012 0:42
Re: treating koi whilst orfe in same pond #7
thanks 2010 I was told once that if a fish in my pond was suffering from parasites it would be more than probable that all the fish would have at least some parasites .do you think this is true? I dont seen to have the same issues with fish health anymore,as I have good fileraion and better unerstanding of water quality