IzzyConrad IzzyConrad
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/12/2012 23:24
Need Help With My Black Moor #1
I've had my 2 Black Moors for a little over a year now. The one black moor is acting fine still swimming around the tank and acting like he always does. The only thing different about him is he is turning orange but i heard that that can happen due to warm temperature water. My other black moor for a couple months now has been laying on the bottom of the tank. At first it was just a little bit every once in a while and if i would come up to the tank they would both come see me. Now he just sits there even if i put my finger to the glass. He eats the food that floats toward him every once in a while. But i'm getting worried cause he doesn't swim around like himself anymore or come and greet me. He is still almost all black other then a couple of spots on him are orange. What should i do?
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 13/12/2012 23:47
Re: Need Help With My Black Moor #2
Hi IzzyConrad
What's the tank size and do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Also what's the temp of the tank?

It happened once to my betta and then he eventually died but after that I realized it's ammonia that killed him.

SInce you have had them over a year. Did you change/clean your filter recently? How often do you do water change?

Do you have a test kit? if not try to get a test kit as it's essential for this hobby. Everyone here recommended API master test kit and I think they're cheaper if bought on Ebay.

If you already have to test kit, test for NH3/NH4, NO2 and NO3 right away and tell us the result. Do a water change if there's any trace of NH3/NH4 and NO2.

If you don't have the test kit yet, try to do a 50% water change too. Make sure you match the temperature of the new water and the tank water. And use dechlorinator too
IzzyConrad IzzyConrad
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 14/12/2012 7:44
Re: Need Help With My Black Moor #3
My tank is a 20 gallon and I give them the vegies they can have and they get dried shrimp. I have a heater that sets the water to 78 degrees. I have a bubble airrater. I try to do a third water change once a week. I use stress coat and the stuff that makes tap water safe for fish. I'm gonna be doing a 50% water change tomorrow. Cause the tank is pretty dirty right now. I was afraid he had a gull bladder problem half way through the year i got him but the rest of the year till now he still likes to swim fast to the top gulp air and blow bubbles but its not often, just an every once in a while thing. I have really crappy paper strip water testers that i heard don't work very well. I'm hoping to get something better. In September I had to treat them for ick. They were covered in head to tail fine in it and almost looked white. But it completely cleared up and haven't seen a spot since and they acted fine after the treatment. I just don't know what else could be wrong.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 14/12/2012 7:54
Re: Need Help With My Black Moor #4
Hmmm, looks like you'll have to do a lot for your moors to be actually thriving. Take a look at this link, it's a caresheet for moors which have be researched and confirmed by very experienced fish keepers on this site
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=50

First thing is your tank is a little too small for moors, they do need room for that. Second is the temp, You should lower the heater and leave the temp at 20, however do this slowly or it'll kill the fish.

And you mentioned that they've had ich? It's actually a sickness only occur when water quality is bad (high in ammonia,nitrite and nitrate). You have not mentioned what type of filter you are using so I assume that you don't have one? Filter is very very important, especially for those fish. The only reason why moors and other gold fish can survive so long without filter is they're hardy but time will kill them.

Even your test is crappy, try to use them and see if there's ammonia trace. Reduce feeding and do a big water change as soon as possible. Remember to match the water temp before changing.

Keep in mind that test kit and proper filter is very important too, you'll have to act fast or they will die :)