Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/12/2012 7:33
bolivian rams fighting? #1
Hi all,

I recently purchased 3 Bolivian rams but due to them being so young the owner of my lfs was unable to sex them.

feeding them this morning 1 of them was chasing both of the others individually and then they were locking lips!

they didn't exactly look friendly! what should I do? I have no idea what sex they are, they could be all males but I really don't know.
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/12/2012 8:53
Re: bolivian rams fighting? #2
This is normal behaviour for cichlids. It's either a male/female sparring to decide whether to pair up or not, or it's a territorial dispute. I would go with the latter given the very open nature of your set up. You need to add more bogwood, rocks and planting to provide hiding places and areas for separate territories. Lip locking between Bolivians rarely leads to anything too serious as long as their territorial needs are catered for.
Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/12/2012 8:56
Re: bolivian rams fighting? #3
Ok thanks fiahlady, it looked so vicious!

I'm heading over to my lfs tomorrow so hopefully ill sort it out then.
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams