treeboa treeboa
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/11/2012 16:47
new large tank #1
right, first post, had to shut down my marine system when the bungalow footing failed and i needed to be out for many months, so although im not reset up yet the realistic side of going back to marine is economically not viable, so im going back to my roots and tropical freshwater, now the tank, no exactly small or light, the tanks 5foot log, 3 wide and 2 deep, its made from 12mm glass ( as i said heavy ) with a double thick base, not only that but it carries an overflow and drops into a cabinet enclosed sump thats got a footprint of 26*26 inches and a running depth of 9 inches, three chambers in the sump

fish stocking has been choices, choices and yet more choices, i did have a hankering for gars but i want more than a couple of fish, plus the fact i dont think the tanks big enough for even the smaller of the species as adults, i also want it as a planted tank and feel the gars would get even less swimming space and possibly unintentionally trash the tanks planting efforts, so as yet the jury is still out on whats to go in the tank, though i still have a love of botia`s synadontis and some cichlids
treeboa treeboa
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 20/11/2012 16:50
Re: new large tank #2
a few years pre stripping down and still breaks my heart to have had to do it

Attach file:

jpg  (248.82 KB)
15767_50abb5ce8987c.jpg 766X622 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/11/2012 17:48
Re: new large tank #3
Well that's a pretty large tank (envious) - look forward to seeing what you do with it .... and welcome to FK
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/11/2012 20:25
Re: new large tank #4
That's great sounding tank- although perhaps unusual for a marine- most of the ones I see advertised are deep rather than wide. 3'x 5' gives you lots of options for bottom dwellers like catfish, loaches, dwarf snakeheads (if you like predatory thingies), etc. I take it you have an RO unit? If so I can't really advise on stocking other that to pick whatever you feel like.

Although I'd put a strong case for a nice biotope. Perhaps one that didn't involve a heater. ;) I think even the smaller gars are going to be too big- they're not particularly manoeverable. The heavy scales make them bad at turning corners. Beautiful fish though.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
treeboa treeboa
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 21/11/2012 12:07
Re: new large tank #5
yes a lot of marine tanks as you say are high, however i wanted to get away from the `brick wall` effect most have, 3 foot front to back gave me that option, two foot deep still allows you to get a good deal of light reaching the lower sections without having to resort to high wattage lighting

yes initially i thought the 3x5 footprint would suit florida or spotted gars but looking further into it i would not be able to provide what i feel would be a decent enough swimming space and have shelved the idea, end the day i dont want what would eventually be a couple of large fish in a case, yes still have a 100 gallon a day r,o unit, a serious aquatronica setup that controls basically everything, 3 tunze 6100`s and a wave maker, protien skimmer ( though its useless in freshwater ) 20 bars of high output blue and white led lighting plus 2 d&d razor lights and a few smaller units that carry uv tubes, dosing pumps, only thing missing to turn it back marine is liverock, however as the tank had 200k, yes 200k of the stuff in it the cost would be prohibitive
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/11/2012 21:54
Re: new large tank #6
tanks screaming out for a nice group of discus, loads of tetras, dwarf cichlids etc, heavily planted, no CO2 as the weir would gas it all off

or a nice high flow stream using powerheads on a cradle so they suck from one end and return the other

oooo or the temperate water set-up sounds good
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/11/2012 14:01
Re: new large tank #7
Given you've got the powerheads I'd go for a riverine set-up. Chaetostoma, hillstream loaches, darters, shiners, gobies. There's all sorts of fish that would love the current you can supply.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 23/11/2012 15:33
Re: new large tank #8
For such a big tank keeping discus would really costly. You'll need a massive heater for that which means higher electric bill xD.

I'd say if you want to save money, go for cold water fish! :D. Riverrine set up sounds nice