• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/6/2012 22:01
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #11
Quote:

Bluechild wrote:
So, with a pump-fed filter, the flow rate of the pump is the only relevant figure?

No. Not correct at all.

The filter has to be suitably sized for the pond and the "stock level" If the pump is "too powerful" then the filter can not "keep up" so the filter "will not work."

Like wise if the pump flow rate is "just right" for the pond volume, but the filter is too small again the filter "will not work."

The size of filter you choose depends on the stock level of your pond. The filter has to be able to cope with the stock level. Brand "F" may be able to cope with more fish waste than brand "G" They may both be a similar / same size, but it depends on the surface area of the media in each filter as to what it can cope with. This information is written on the filter or in the sales blurb.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
Bluechild Bluechild
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 5/6/2012 22:47
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #12
Wow, this isn't as straightforward as it seems! I'm assuming the filters have a broad range of what they can cope with to allow for fish growth and new stock etc? And is bigger better as far as a box filter goes to let the water sit in the medium, or is it a delicate balance?
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 6/6/2012 21:14
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #13
A lot of folk think its easy / simple to keep a fish, as you said there is more to it than meets the eye.

Pond filters do not have a "tolerance level" to allow for fish growth, since, as I have said it depends on the filter media as to how much the filter can cope with, also it depends on which fish you have and how fast / big they can grow.

But yes, always buy / make a filter that is bigger than you think you will ever need.

Resized Image

In no way am I suggesting you want a filter like the one above, I just chose it as it helps me to answer your question.

With this filter being as it is, the water stays in for a longer time than if it was smaller (Kind of obvious really) but it has more media, so it can be used for a big / high stock pond. So its not really a "balance" its to do with flow rate and "dwell time"
In most cases a box filter is fine so long as the flow rate is not too fast and the filter is big enough. (Which is where we started)

Oh, just out of curiosity......

Resized Image

Is how the above filter works. The round chamber on the right is called a vortex, the water really does rotate in it, and all most of the heavy stuff falls to the bottom, it then passes through each type of media in turn.

I just thought I would save you asking, and no, as I said before you really don't want one. (Too big and costs a lot)

tugslike tugslike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 1/7/2012 15:31
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #14
Wise words 2010 !!! When we started off pond exploration we got it wrong so many times and had to learn by all our mistakes. Finding the balance through a good pond system is key to ENJOYING your pond and keeping the fish as healthy as possible. We started off by having inadequate equipment thinking we could do it on the cheap...it cost more in the long run.
Bluechild Bluechild
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 5/9/2012 13:41
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #15
Hi, all,
Been doing loads of home improvements so I've been off the forum for a while. Now it's time to sort the pond. 2010, am I correct in thinking that I need a pump with a flow rate of between 575 and 1150 L/h? (I'm not sure what the lower rate of the Neptun is but I think you suggested that it would do for now if I turned it right down). And then I need a large box filter with plenty of media? Should that sort me out? Thanks for the help.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 7/9/2012 23:21
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #16
Let's look at the Neptun pump. (Also this is for those that do not know)

Resized Image

Above is an Oase Neptun pump

Resized Image

Above is an Oase Aquamax pump

The Aquamax pump, pumps all the "solid matter" to the bio filter, it can do this because it has totally a different impeller design than the Neptun. Also as you can see by looking at the two the Neptun has a fine mesh strainer, the Aquamax has large holes to allow solids to pass through.

The Neptun when used with a nozzle makes a great fountain (That's partially what it was designed for)

You can use a neptun to supply a filter but its not ideal and will require a lot of cleaning and often*. Don't be tempted to remove the strainer as all you will do is block the impeller.

If you are going to take pondkeeping seriously, its best to do it right from the start.
Often you can find aquamax pumps on ebay for a nice price. (no I am not selling any)

* The holes in the mesh are small, they will soon block, but the time it will take depends on your pond volume and stock levels, but its not worth trying.

ianbo ianbo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 25/9/2012 18:12
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #17
If you decide to start your pond again one bit of advice I can give is to find a local fish stockist that have the the equipment and know-how to check a fish for parasites. This is done by taking a small amount of mucus from the fish and looking through a microscope.There is no all in one treatment that I know of as there are about seven different types of parasites that can all be fatal to fish. The stockist I use is Cascade in Bury Lancashire they don't even charge.I catch a sick fish bag it then get it checked they then sell me the appropriate treatment which has saved my whole fish stock.There is a chance that the removal of you fish had caused them to become stressed this in turn may have effected their resistance to parasites.I am sorry it is too late this time but I do not hesitate to get a sick fish checked it may even survive but it does give the other fish a chance.
Bluechild Bluechild
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 22/11/2012 19:53
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #18
So despite my grand plans, Life has managed to keep me from sorting the pond! I have now emptied and cleaned it and removed the Neptun pump. Would someone be able to confirm if my earlier estimate was correct that I need a pump with a flow rate between 575 and 1150 l/h? I know that this forum's ethos is all about self-learning, but I would really appreciate some advice on a readily available example pump/filter combo that would suit my pond (I'm finding the filter the most mysterious part of all this!). Thanks all.
Bluechild Bluechild
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 28/12/2012 10:51
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #19
I've been looking at the Oase Aquamax pumps and it seems that the 2000 would be the most likely candidate, although does the 3500 have an adjustable flow-rate so that I can reduce it? I can't find that information anywhere. The "head" for my pond set-up is one metre. The thing I'm struggling with is the filter, to pluck a couple of examples from the internet: the Hozelock Ecopower + 2500, does this pump water back up to the pond? Is the flow rate of the pump what governs the flow rate of the filter? Is it big enough form my pond? The description says it can handle ponds of 2500l with fish, but what amount of fish does this mean? I don't want to end up with my previous scenario where the equipment is working too fast for the health of the pond. I'd really appreciate some advice with all this because because every time I think I'm getting somewhere, I discover that there's something else I have to consider!
ianbo ianbo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 29/12/2012 21:28
Re: Help! My pond fish keep dying. #20
I would always select your filter first.I would buy one with twice the filter capacity of your pond.If you do not exceed the capacity of your filer then you can circlate the water more often if you want twice per hour if you want but I think once per hour is fine.
I have found the multibay Kokney koi great the smallest square one should be ok for your pond have a look on their website.then select a pump to circulate your pond 1.5 times the volume of your pond. By the time you hve pumped the water up and it has gone through a uv you will have lost about 30 % of the plow rate.You con also put a ball valve in if the fow rate is too fast these are also on the same website