small pinch of flakes at bout 5.00 pm

then small sachet of bloodworm at bout 10.00pm

is this too much or just fine

thank you
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/11/2012 10:50
Re: feeding question ? #2
That partly depends on how many fish you have and what they are. In general if they are eating each meal within a couple of minutes that's about right.

I would not feed bloodworm every day though as it has a high fat content which is too rich for daily feeding. If you want to feed live/frozen foods daily then alternate with some of the others available. Also watch out if you have certain species who will overeat if food is available and become very obese or suffer intestinal problems or bloat. Gouramis can be very greedy as can some of the Loaches amongst others.

If you have fish whose natural diet includes a good deal of vegetable matter you may want to include fresh or frozen veg and algae wafers.
fisheye fisheye
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/11/2012 10:55
Re: feeding question ? #3
thanks for reply,

would feeding them bloodworm once a week as a treat be better ?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/11/2012 11:39
Re: feeding question ? #4
Yes, once or twice a week is fine - if you have carnivores then more often is OK or them.
Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/11/2012 14:16
Re: feeding question ? #5
Hi Fishlady,

I bought some of the Apistogramma and on the Seriously Fish site it says that I should feed them them regularly live or frozen foods, I currently only have blood worms. does the same thing apply for them? should I buy some alternative frozen foods?

I've tried feeding them cichlid floating pellets but even the mini pellets I have seem to be too big (hikari cichlid gold)even when i try to cut them up a bit.
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 19/11/2012 14:47
Re: feeding question ? #6
You only need to give them live or frozen daily when getting them into breeding condition. Once again though mix it up as too much bloodworm is not good for them. I feed mine (adults and juveniles) on good flake, Hikari Tropical Micropellets, Hikari Sinking Carnivore Tablets, frozen bloodworm, daphnia, brineshrimp, Tetra Delica Bloodworm, algae wafers, Tetra Prima.

They only get live/frozen/Delica 2 or 3 times a week and the adults spawn roughly every month even so