• Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 0:37
Re: Cherry Shrimp setup #21
Quote:

monoxide wrote:
can i just be a bit of question here and ask if anyone can tell me how good the fluval shrimp tank is and does it need a heater ?

I'd have a heater on anything under 30L- cherries are pretty robust and as long as it stays above 20-22 degrees most of the time, and you don't have any sudden temperature swings they'll be fine. In big tanks this is not usually a problem, but small ones lose and gain heat rapidly, so a heater to keep the chill off is a good idea. Set it relatively low, and you should be OK. Be prepared to fiddle with the settings for a few days before you get your shrimp so you know it won't get too warm.

The Edge is pretty good from what I hear. The Chi is less so- Viriconia has one and lost shrimp because they climbed out, and got sucked into the filter (the light isn't great either). I suspect the Ebi and the Flora may have similar issues. The AquaOne AquaNano series look much better from that point of view, as do the Arcadia Arc Tanks.

If you buy everything separately you'll probably be able to get what you want, but it won't cost you much less than the all-inclusive kits.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
CHellewise CHellewise
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 22:10
Re: Cherry Shrimp setup #22
My mum keeps harping on about having tetras in the tank as well as the cherry shrimps, I said to her that I probably wouldn't be able to because of the size of the tank, but she still wants me to ask you guys (she knows im always lurking on here), so here is the obligatory question: Would I be able to have a small shoal of neon tetras in the tank as well as the cherry shrimp. :)
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 22:17
Re: Cherry Shrimp setup #23
Hi Chelle

Given a shoal of 6 tetras require 60 litres as a min, the tank at 23 litres (that's even without the 10% reduction for decor/substrate) is just too small for these fellas.

Perhaps mum fancies getting her purse out if she fancies these fish in a more suitable tank? lol
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
CHellewise CHellewise
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 22:38
Re: Cherry Shrimp setup #24
Haha, I will tell her that. She is obsessed with them and believes everyone should have some. *rolls eyes* parents, I'm 25 and have my own flat but she still redecorates and reorganises everything. All I want is a little cherry shrimp tank as they're so so cute :D
Thanks for the confirmation! I'm planning on buying her a suitable tank for a shoal of tetras anyways, however, she doesn't know this but goes on about how she would like a tank of her own.
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 24/7/2012 7:50
Re: Cherry Shrimp setup #25
Remember to let me know when you are ready for shrimpys

JON
Resized Image
CHellewise CHellewise
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 24/7/2012 22:48
Re: Cherry Shrimp setup #26
Got my moss today!! Its come from my LFS's cherry shrimp tank :D A couple of days to let that settle and I will be ready :D:D Thank you so much!!
darbs darbs
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 25/10/2012 12:53
Re: Cherry Shrimp setup #27
Jon.

I see that you have offered to get rid of some cherry shrimps. I could do with a few if you've got any going please.