Milli Milli
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/10/2012 12:33
Goldy not well #1
Goldy the fancy goldfish is not doing so good . She has always had on / off problems with swim bladder but usually a few peas sort her out. This time no good - she is sunk at the bottom of the tank not doing much. She tries to rally round and gulps when she sees me but she can't manage to swim.

Tank was cleaned Saturday, gravel cleaned and 30% water change. Readings today are Am:0 , Nitrite:0, Nitrate:20-40. Don't know why the nitrate is so high.

Please help - she don't look at all happy.

Attach file:

gif  (425.44 KB)
14975_506adebfe4f30.gif 1000X667 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/10/2012 13:04
Re: Goldy not well #2
Hi

She does look very poorly. Did you test before the water change at all? If so what were the readings then? When was the last water change and gravel vac prior to Saturday? Do you know what your tap water nitrate level is?

It looks as though there are some red streaks in her tail fin, which is usually a sign of water quality problems.
Milli Milli
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 2/10/2012 13:18
Re: Goldy not well #3
Didn't test the water prior to changing. Tap water nitrate levels are 0. Previous water change and gravel vac was 10 days previously. She does have red streaks in her tail .
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/10/2012 13:35
Re: Goldy not well #4
I would think then that nitrate had been pretty high and possibly there's been a nitrite or ammonia spike that was missed. I would suggest some more water changes at around 25% a day for the next few days to reduce nitrate further and treat the whole tank with a double dose of Prime on the first change a it will help detoxify the exiting nitrate.

Ongoing, she may be less inclined to suffer swim bladder type issues if you can stick to a regime of changing 25% of the water and doing a good gravel vac every week as Fancies often have these kinds of issues with nitrate build-up.

FX for her.
Milli Milli
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 2/10/2012 13:45
Re: Goldy not well #5
I did know I had left them too long previously Fishlady . We had house guests and my whole routine got turned upside down. Will water change when son wakes up (the tank is in his room). The gravel does seem to be ever so dirty every time I vac it. Will let you know how she is. Thank-you for your swift replies.
Milli Milli
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 2/10/2012 16:32
Re: Goldy not well #6
Changed water and gravel vac again - gravel very dirty ! One toddler stood and moaned the entire time despite being bought off with cheese on toast and a smoothie.

Fingers crossed Goldy starts to look a bit better soon. Can't understand why I am having so many problems with the water and with her - I swear when she was in the tiny tank she was never this bad! Feel awful that I can't seem to get this right and have happy and well fish.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 2/10/2012 19:16
Re: Goldy not well #7
Oh dear. Bent fish like that are normally in the final stages and the prognosis is very bleak I'm afraid so be a little prepared So sorry.

It could well be his earlier life in the 35 litre now playing catch up. We have seen that here before with very similar symptoms.

Keep the water nice and fresh, a daily 25% change will do no harm for a few days and may help a little with those red fins.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Milli Milli
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 3/10/2012 11:58
Re: Goldy not well #8
No change with Goldy - hoping she isn't on her way out . Bought new nitrate testing kit today with the bottles and test tube - nitrate showing between 0 - 5 ppm. Ammonia comes up 0 again. Can't get a good look but Red seems to have a sore bit on his fin now. Feel really stressed - can't get to do any thing as my son keeps crying. Try and report back later.
Milli Milli
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 4/10/2012 11:49
Re: Goldy not well #9
Goldy still not good. Can I do anything to make her better? Should I take Goldy and Red and the two apple snails out of the tank so I can do a really good gravel vac and clean the glass and ornaments etc? Wish I knew what I was doing wrong with this. I don't suppose I could take her to a vet? Are there any fish vets in Northamptonshire?

Please advise - she keeps looking at me wanting me to make it better, and Red keeps hovering around her all anxious and worried. I don't know what to do .