craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/9/2012 22:28
help needed please ! danio fry #1
I have just moved my group of 5 zebra danios from a 39L tank in to a new cycled 180L tank and as I starting to empty my small tank i noticed something on the glass. After looking at the tank for a few mins i noticed around 30 small fry ! About the size of an eye lash.
I have no fry food as i never thought about what id do if they bread.
The fry are in my 39 L tank on there own so they wont be eaten but i dont know what to do about feeding them ?
All i have to feed them is flake food that i could grind in to powder ?
I will go to my local aquatic retailer in the morning and get some liquid food !
Should i feed them ground up flakes tonight ?
Im desperate for these little guys to make it !
Any advice will be great thanks !
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/9/2012 0:08
Re: help needed please ! danio fry #2
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Are they actually swimming yet or do they still have their yolk sacs?

If they're free-swimming you can feed very finely powdered flake or a great starter food for tiny fry is hard-boiled egg yolk. Get a clean cotton clothe (like a handkerchief) and push the hard-boiled egg yolk through it into the water so it forms a fine cloud. They will do well on that for a few days, then if you can, move on to live baby brine-shrimp, or just crushed flake.

Feed them 4 times a day, small amounts and change 25% or more of the water daily to avoid any build up of pollutants from uneaten food. Good luck
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/9/2012 9:38
Re: help needed please ! danio fry #3
Thanks for reply FL.
They are free swimming, although most of them seem to just sit on the glass.
I have fed them this morning on some powdered flake and about 5 or 6 of them were eating it, but the other 20 or so just sat on the glass !
Is there anything I can do to help them feed ?

I rang my local aquatic dealer today and they suggested a liquid suspension food. Is this worth a try ?

Thanks Craig
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/9/2012 10:00
Re: help needed please ! danio fry #4
Hi

Sorry, I thought you were going to get some anyway, but wanted something to feed immediately. Yes, Liquifry No1 for Egglayers is an ideal first food. Hard-boiled egg yolk will work just as well if you want to avoid the expense although it's more messy and harder to feed a tiny amount (plus it wastes a few eggs). They should be big enough for crushed flake within about a week.