geoff geoff
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 11:29
here we go !!! #1
hi all .... that 55gallon tank is cycled ( fishless of course) and all is good ....

what shall i stock ?? went to my LFS to view his tanks and he had a mixed show tank....... he is suggested a mix of small end Peacocks and Mbuna in the correct ration to give the tank a good overall appreance.

i know malawi Bloat may be an issue but apprat from that any other stuff ??

if you have a suggestion on stock list please post it for me as i have looked at virtually every fish and im totally confused at the mo ....

any advice will be appreciated ...... thanks .. G
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 11:43
Re: here we go !!! #2
The food thing is just one reason why it's best not to do it. AT least as much of a factor (maybe more so) is that Mbuna are much more aggressive than Peacocks and will often either kill them outright as the fish mature, or stress them to death. The species of Peacock that can even be tried are limited and usually only successul to a degree, if at all. IMO it's not something that should be done unless in a truly enormous tank as if the ish are in a constant state of stress/aggression the tank will not be fun to watch and they will be very unhappy.
geoff geoff
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 12:07
Re: here we go !!! #3
thanks FL ....
geoff geoff
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 12:45
Re: here we go !!! #4
sorry FL got another quikie ....

Victorians ..... if there the ones with an aggresive nature and algae feeders do they mix with Mbuna ??
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 13:08
Re: here we go !!! #5
A very basic (and good) rule with the Rift Lakes is NEVER mix species from different lakes.