craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/7/2012 22:51
fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #1
Hi there
This is my first post on FK and also my first ever tropical aquarium. I have been given a book to look at by a friend and I have read some of the posts on here and it seems that the cycling process is key to setting up any aquarium.
I was wondering if it is possible to start the cycling process with some fish in my aquarium or if it isn't worth the risk and that I should start a fish-less cycle?

I would be grateful for any tips or advice

Regards Craig
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/7/2012 23:08
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #2
Hi and welcome,

We would never recommend cycling fish in. Firstly because of the welfare of the fish whose long-term health will be compromised by spending 6 weeks or so in toxic water and will be at best pretty uncomfortable, and secondly because it's actually a lot more work for the fishkeeper as daily partial water changes are essential when cycling fish in to keep toxins low enough for the fish to survive the process. This means as a consequence that fish in cycles tend to take longer as for the health of the fish we have to keep removing the ammonia and nitrite that feed the bacteria we want to grow.

Fishless cycling is less work, avoids any fish suffering and takes less time to complete - even if it doesn't feel like it when you're doing it

We have an article on the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle fishlessly which you'll find helpful. There's an ammonia dosing calculator at the bottom too. Any questions or problems with the cycle, just ask
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/7/2012 23:27
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #3
It isn't worth the risk. End of story.

There's very little work done in a fishless cycle- a couple of water tests each day, a big water-change at the end of the process, and perhaps a couple of mid-sized changes in the middle if you have soft water and your cycle stalls. Fish-in cycles, as noted, involve doing a water-change nearly every day for anything up to two months or more.

It might seem like a long time to wait, but it does allow you to spend time aquascaping to your liking, getting any plants off to a head start, and working out what your stocking will be.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/8/2012 0:11
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #4
Any possible work I could have possibly done here is...done!

Thank you FL and Dave

Any questions craig, fire away.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2012 13:02
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #5
Thanks for your replies !!
So I need to follow the fishless cycling process in FLs link.
Where is the best place to get the ammonia from ? Will my local fish shop be a good place to find some ?
Also is Filter start by interpet worth a try to speed up the process or should i forget that.

Thanks craig
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2012 13:14
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #6
Also which test kit should i buy ?
Thanks
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 1/8/2012 13:14
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #7
You could try shops like the larger Boots stores, or Homebase. If you're unsuccessful there, you could try eBay.

As for Filterstart, I wouldn't waste your money. Any bacteria in the bottle would long since have died. At best, it'll knock a few days off.
T.L
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/8/2012 13:52
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #8
Quote:

craig_h wrote:
Also which test kit should i buy ?
Thanks

This is the one most of us use and is usually about a third less on eBay than in the shops. If you can't get ammonia locally, you can also buy that on ebay.
craig_h craig_h
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2012 15:41
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #9
Thanks again for the help and the advice !
I have ordered the test kit you recommended FL and i also ordered a bottle of ammonia
I wont bother with any filter start and i will do it properly and be patient.
My aquarium is only 39 L and i am wondering about what fish to stock when i get my water right.
What fish would be good for me to start with ?
Thanks Craig
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/8/2012 15:43
Re: fish-in cycling or fish-less cycling? #10
Quote:

craig_h wrote:
Also is Filter start by interpet worth a try to speed up the process or should i forget that.

Thanks craig

Hi Craig! Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you have done the research first!!! God Job.
Bacteria in a bottle may or may not work, it's a bit of a contentious issue, but to be honest it isn't worth paying for really.
If you want to speed up the process and you have a friend with a cycled aquarium then ask them can you have a piece of their filter media (sponge). Add this to the tank and it should help :)
You live in derbyshire? Lucky you!! Apparently there are lots of good fishstores nearby and there are lots of tanks from nearby going supercheap on ebay, you could save a fortune if you ever develop multiple tank syndrome! ;)
My Dad's fiancee is from there and it sounds like a nice enough spot!
TK