fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 13/7/2012 17:17
Mystery fry in my sump #1
Hi all,

Haven't been around for a while but everything is going well with my tanks. Was just giving my huge tank a clean, and pumping water out the sump and found three fry! Complete mystery as to what they are. I've attached a couple of photos of them. There are three possible candidates for the parents.
1) barbs, either green or tiger or both
2) Rasboras, either harlequin or another species that i can't recall at the moment (looks like a harlequin, but different colours).
3) Silver (or Bala) sharks.

Now to me i am thinking Silver Shark. My reasons for this are that they are very long thin fish (the big one is over 1cm), not square like a barb, or harlequin shape. My sharks are also always making mating moves (especially after dinner), entwining around each other in 2s, 3s or 4s. I'd also expect a harlequin or barb to be colouring up by now, as they are up to 1cm, and look more like their parents.
But i welcome better advice, otherwise i will just have to watch and wait for a few weeks.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.49 KB)
5261_5000586389f24.jpg 800X532 px
To Dive or not to Dive.....
What a stupid question

Original Image
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 13/7/2012 17:19
Re: Mystery fry in my sump #2
Another piccy.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.59 KB)
5261_500058a88c15b.jpg 800X532 px
What a stupid question

Original Image
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/7/2012 17:49
Re: Mystery fry in my sump #3
COngrats!!
It's best to get them a seperate tank and feed them alot! Fry eat alot :P
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/7/2012 19:15
Re: Mystery fry in my sump #4
To be honest I'll be very surprised if they turn out to be Bala Shark fry as there are no reports of successful breeding in aquariums. However, I take your point about their shape relative to size, which although a typical shape for most fry is as you say unusual at that size when the species shape/colour ought to be more apparent if they are Barbs or Harlequins.

How many Balas do you have and how big are they?

I shall watch with great interest as the mystery unfolds and if they are indeed baby Balas you're a very lucky fishkeeper - pretty much unheard of
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 13/7/2012 19:34
Re: Mystery fry in my sump #5
I have four Balas. No idea of sex of them, and they are all about 10-12cm, I got them as one lot. Like I say they always seem to display mating behaviour, especially after dinner. I have read that it can just be play, but am ever hopeful. They are egg scatterers apparently, so I could see some eggs being swept down the sump overflow and hatching down in the sump. Although the barbs do seem to favour a big patch of Java Fern next to the overflow, so if their eggs and/or fry were in there they would also get swept down.
What a stupid question

Original Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/7/2012 20:20
Re: Mystery fry in my sump #6
FX for Balas.......even though it's unlikely it would be VERY exciting if that's what you have
great_kahn great_kahn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 1:28
Re: Mystery fry in my sump #7
Pretty amazing finding them. Looking forward to see what they become.
fishy_tom fishy_tom
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 8/8/2012 0:11
Re: Mystery fry in my sump #8
We have an answer!!!

For those playing along at home the three possibilities for the mystery fry where:
1) Rasboras
2)Barbs
3) Bala sharks

And the answer is...... 4) None of the above. Turns out these little fish are Endler's Livebearer. I have a tank of these running as an offshoot of my main tank. A wee pump fills it from the sump and it overflows into the main tank, which overflows into the sump. So these fry managed to get past the pre-filter in their tank, swim along a tube into the main tank, avoid being eaten in there and then get swept into the sump. I am completely amazed they managed it to be honest. They must have swum along the tube when i had the pre-filter off for cleaning i guess. Still, they got rescued and are now back in with their friends in the Endler colony, so all's well that ends well.
What a stupid question

Original Image