• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 10:47
Back like the preverbial bad penny #1
Hi all.

Can't believe this account is still active

Anyway! On Friday, my mum phoned me at work, asking if I want some "tropical" fish. Turns out the ex husband of one of her friends has tragically passed away, leaving behind a cat and a fishtank, complete with inhabitants. From somewhere in the background, her friend piped in that they were fancy goldfish - not tropicals, and that I can have the lot - tank, filter, gravel, stand - everything.

Went to pick them up last night. . .

Please allow me to introduce my new tropical, fancy common goldfish (and blackmoor) :rolleyes:
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

On a serious note, the tank's only about 20gal, and the filter's a miserly Fluval internal :rolleyes: so I'm fostering the commons until I can find a pond for them to go into. Otherwise, I'll be left with no option but take them to the LFS, and I think the poor things have been through enough already Obviously they're small atm - about 3-4in, but 2 of them were added recently (which 2, I don't know).

As for the BM, I intend to keep him, upgrade the tank and get him a few real fancies
T.L
Resized Image
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 10:57
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #2
Hello Linz good girl on the rescue front, you know you needed goldfish ....
Did you get the cat too? How is your dog?
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 11:09
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #3
Hello Cathie

The cat went to my mum's friend before I got there. Max is fine - getting noiser the older he gets (he's 9 now ).
T.L
Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 11:28
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #4
BTW I know the tank's a bit on the sparse side, but of course, I'll be adding things to it as I go along. Atm, the tank's pretty much as it was when I got it, minus 2 carrier bags worth of gravel (because of the weight - there was only me, mum and my 8y/o cousin to transport them ). I've added some bogwood and a Java fern from one of my trop tanks.
T.L
Resized Image
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 13:17
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #5
Nice work TL! Quite a few people seem to think goldies are fancies if they have longer than normal tails, or just look 'a bit fancy' But Cathie is right, goldies seem to get everyone eventually Now's a good time to start looking around for ponds as (allegedly) we are into summer and the temps (in theory!) are ok for moving. A bit of cheap elodea and/or hornwort would be great for adding a bit of enrichment (and snackage!) Looking forward to updates
It's Not Just A Fish
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 14:53
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #6
Quote:

suey2 wrote:
Nice work TL! Quite a few people seem to think goldies are fancies if they have longer than normal tails, or just look 'a bit fancy' But Cathie is right, goldies seem to get everyone eventually Now's a good time to start looking around for ponds as (allegedly) we are into summer and the temps (in theory!) are ok for moving. A bit of cheap elodea and/or hornwort would be great for adding a bit of enrichment (and snackage!) Looking forward to updates

We're in summer?! I thought I'd slept in a few months and bypassed it entirely

They've got some elodea in the tank - just added some more as my mum went round to the house and picked up a forgotton bucket with elodea in. They're not actually being very goldfishy just yet - I planted some of the elodea in the gravel this morning - and it's still there

They have, however, settled in as well as can be expected and have had breakfast this morning (the BM helping himself a minute or so before the commons realised there was food about).
T.L
Resized Image
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 18:55
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #7
Wow I have rescue ponds lined up I wonder if anybody from up north could join us in a relay rescue? I'm happy to come up as far as Sheffield or so?

JON
Resized Image
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 19:07
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #8
Your knighthood cannot be far away Jon

They're just trying to lull you into a false sense of security on the elodea, one day you'll look in the tank and think 'I'm sure there was some elodea in there the other day'

That BM sounds very sharp! I'm sure the others will cotton on soon though ...

I'm led to believe that June is traditionally thought of as summer, although maybe I've slept through something too!
It's Not Just A Fish
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 19:49
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #9
Nice to meet you TetraLinz! Good to see you are still keeping tropicals!
TK
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 21:46
Re: Back like the preverbial bad penny #10
Quote:

jaspersdad wrote:
Wow I have rescue ponds lined up I wonder if anybody from up north could join us in a relay rescue? I'm happy to come up as far as Sheffield or so?

JON

FX. I had a brainwave this afternoon and texted a friend to see if her dad would take them, but Murphey's Law prevailed - he'd just bought some goldies for his pond at the w/e and didn't want any more, so that's one avenue closed.

Quote:

They're just trying to lull you into a false sense of security on the elodea, one day you'll look in the tank and think 'I'm sure there was some elodea in there the other day'

That BM sounds very sharp! I'm sure the others will cotton on soon though ...

I don't doubt it for a second Sue! Knowing my luck they'll wait til tomorrow when I'm down to my last penny and can't get them any more til Thursday

Quote:

Nice to meet you TetraLinz! Good to see you are still keeping tropicals!

Nice to meet you too! Yeah, still got the tropicals - wouldn't give up on them.
T.L
Resized Image