Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 14:49
White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #1
My White clouds had eggs two weeks ago while I was away for tue weekend after live feeds of mosquito larvae from our pond. By the time I noticed they were tiny and free swimming. They are so tiny I can't see them very well even now to get them out without accidentally squirting them. So far I have kept the fish occupied with live feeds, but the pond is running low on larvae. Today I saw one try and eat a fry. Should I try and move them to the tiny tank I got for secret santa? It currently is empty bar a few pond snails. The only filter I have for it is the Chinese one it came with which I don't trust. Or should I just fill the 80L tank with spawning mops to provide more cover ?(only got elodea at the moment).
TK
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 14:54
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #2
Should I get a sponge filter for the little tank? I have no idea how to pick one good enough as they don't seem to have capacities like internal filters do. Please help.
TK
lenny stickleback lenny stickleback
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 15:09
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #3
I used one of these little breeding nets to rear zebra danio fry in the main tank. It worked fine and saves worrying about setting up/cycling and a new tank and they?re usually available in LFS?.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aqu ... -mesh.html?ref=googlebase
Get fish or die tryin'
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 15:38
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #4
Thanks Lenny but they are already in the big tank, dont think I could get them into the trap. Caught me by surprise as I didn't think they would breed with so few plants in there. I intend to get more but I had just fixd the light and it's broke again.
TK
lenny stickleback lenny stickleback
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 16:18
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #5
I managed to scoop them in a small glass (actually a nutella jar but they?re shaped like a small glass and get used as them) and pour them into the breeding net. It takes a bit of perseverance but you?ll catch them eventually. It?s also worth checking your filter as I found a couple in there before.
Get fish or die tryin'
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 17:11
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #6
Anyone have any ideas in the meantime? I'm still thinking I should put them in the little tank.
TK
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 17:31
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #7
A breeding net is probably the best answer as Lenny said as it means they're in a cycled tank. If you want to put them in the small tank then a very basic sponge filter like this is fine for fry. You'll need an airpump to run it. If you move them into the spare tank bear in mind that as the sponge won't be cycled you'll need to do daily partial water changes.

Best way I've found for catching very tiny fry is to suck them up with a turkey baster.
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 18:15
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #8
Thanks noodle, But What do I do while I wait for the trap? Also does the air pump need to go at a particular speed to ensure adequate filtration?
TK
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 19:10
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #9
If you already have an air pump you can fill the spare tank with water from the main tank and start by just running an airstone for oxygenation while you wait for the filter. Most air pumps don't have a speed control as such, so to ensure the airstone isn't too vigorous either us a clamp to reduce the flow a little or tie a loose knot in the airline to achieve the same end.

With the sponge filter attached, there should be no need to reduce the air flow. A sponge filter like that provides good biological filtration once it has cycled, (they are frequently the only filtration in Discus tanks), but is not effective for removing any solid waste so daily syphoning is the way to deal with that. It's vital to do daily partial water changes anyway on fry tanks because there is inevitably excess food to remove and water quality needs to be excellent for proper growth and to reduce the risk of the fry contracting fungal or parasitic infections (they are very prone to Velvet Disease for instance).
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 12/6/2012 19:15
Re: White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry. #10
I had read that they need to have daily partial water changes due to the feeding.
TK