Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/2/2012 20:10
Planaria - what to do? #1
Hi everyone

A while ago I posted about finding a few planaria in my internal filter whern I clean it out.
Well they are still turning up in there, in fact I'm finding more each time I clean it.

I know they aren't harmful as such but they really freak me out and make me feel like I'm unclean in the tank.

What do they eat? Why am I finding them? I don't overfeed, and am vigorous with the gravel cleaning twice a week.

Is there anything I can do to get rid once and for all? I've seen something called 'No Planaria' on ebay. What do you all think - has anyone tried it?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/2/2012 20:50
Re: Planaria - what to do? #2
Hi B

Have you seen this stickied post in the Mystery Creature/ID room?

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... p?topic_id=30441&forum=21

I spotted a few planaria in the trop tank after syphoning in the bucket when it was up and running. Cutting back on feeding did the job for me - despite the info I've linked to. With the coldwater tank, none at all. Dont think they stand a chance if ever spotted.

Most tanks at some point get all manner of uninvited visitors especially when using live plants. All manner of small red or white worms, spring tails, bugs etc. Life finds a way when it comes to some creepy crawlies it seems, especially if it's wet and there is food!

Don't be too freaked out. I have some tiny spingtails in my fancy tank filter at the mo.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 28/2/2012 21:15
Re: Planaria - what to do? #3
HI Violet

Yes I had seen the sticky, but I really don't fancy doing the trap thing, I think I'd have a heart attack if I ended up with loads of them in it and had to get it out of the tank. I go to pieces with half a dozen on a filter sponge
With the other treatments mentioned they seemed like they could be harmful to the filter bacteria etc and I don't want to end up in that situation again.

Am I right in thinking planaria are carnivores? If so it may help if I went vegetarian in the tank for a few days?
I'm such a wimp with anything creepy crawly. I've never seen them in the tank so I think the goldies must eat any they find on the gravel, perhaps thats why they hide in the filter
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/2/2012 22:12
Re: Planaria - what to do? #4
The No Planaria stuff on eBay is apparently extract of betel nut, and is said to be effective without being harmful to fish/shrimps/filter, so probs worth a go?

ETA - just read on a shrimp forum that it kills snails too, so beware remove any snails you can find, don't want rotting dead snails in your tank
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 28/2/2012 22:26
Re: Planaria - what to do? #5
Thanks Cathie

I don't have any snails (that I'm aware of ). I'm just wary about using something that nobody else has tried in case it hurts my fish. Did anyone seem to think it had caused harm to their fish from what you read?

It'd be great if it did the trick.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/2/2012 22:30
Re: Planaria - what to do? #6
No problems with fish that I have read about. It's been available in the USA for a few years now it seems. Google it and you will find all sorts of obscure stuff
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/2/2012 22:37
Re: Planaria - what to do? #7
That's a pearl of wisdom indeed cathie

I've used Jungle Tabs (for another completely unrelated reason which had no impact on the pesky odd planaria). Could you add some comment to the stickied article perhaps on this advancement?

Good for all of us to be aware of, I'm sure

V x
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 28/2/2012 23:01
Re: Planaria - what to do? #8
I think I may give the No Planaria a go. Quick quesiton on filters, it says to run active carbon in the filter after treatment. Will I get away with adding the carbon sponge to my internal filter or do I need to add proper carbon (like Matrix carbon) to my external as well?
Bungy Bungy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 2/3/2012 19:21
Re: Planaria - what to do? #9
I breed shrimps and occasionally see Planaria which in a shrimp tank this is bad news - I use this stuff from Benebachi which works great and no harm to the shrimp.

http://www.benibachi.co.uk/cart/planaria.html
Beanikki Beanikki
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 2/3/2012 20:02
Re: Planaria - what to do? #10
Thanks Bungy, I'll try this if the other stuff doesn't work.