• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 31/12/2011 17:33
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #121
Quote:

Tknoxx wrote:
Sounds great. I think I found an alternative to a hillstream loach - a candidius goby. It's a bit smaller, but they can be expensive.

I saw those today at Dorchester Aquatics, very interesting and seem good for mixing with WCMM?

JON
Resized Image
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 31/12/2011 17:55
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #122
As far as I could see yes. They enjoy strong currents, same temp range (prefer a range more suited to WCMM (HSL seems a tad high at min 20) and also like high O2 water
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 31/12/2011 18:27
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #123
Nice little article about them on PFK HERE
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
CarrotFish CarrotFish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From County Durham
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/1/2012 13:25
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #124
Hmmn would a 24 litre tank be ok for these fish (16x10x9 inches)?
"Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim"
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/1/2012 15:27
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #125
Unfortunately it would not I'm afraid. No fish should be kept in less than 45 litres, and any small shoaling fish need at least 60 litres of water.
CarrotFish CarrotFish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 5/1/2012 17:54
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #126
Quote:

Noodle wrote:
Unfortunately it would not I'm afraid. No fish should be kept in less than 45 litres, and any small shoaling fish need at least 60 litres of water.

Ah well that's that then, no more fish for us!
Hermit crabs instead me thinks!
"Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim"
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/1/2012 18:34
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #127
Hi

I think you'll find a min of 10 gall (45 litres) is required for hermits.

Some good info here:

http://hermit-crabs.com/care.html

http://www.petforums.co.uk/insects-sn ... abs-guide-new-owners.html
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Louscarlet Louscarlet
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 13/1/2012 10:41
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #128
Hi All - I'm new to the world of the WCMM and would like a bit of advice. I'm afraid I only have a 30l tank which it seems may be a bit small. I would like to upgrade to something bigger but it won't be just yet.
I have had the tank up and running since around Aug 2011 and now successfully have just the 3 WCMM after a rocky start where I lost a couple. They seem settled and into the feeding routine.
Questions are:
- Can I add 1 more? I'm aware that any more than that could overload the tank/filter but would like to take the number up to 4. Will it unsettle the tank that took several weeks/months to get up and running? I will stick with the 3 if this is the best option as I don't want to lose any more!
- I feed them flake food once per day. Can I supplement with anything else - I read somewhere maybe a pea out of its shell? Conscious of overfeeding as they are so small and I have so few.
Many thanks for any help/advice. Having kept goldfish that had to end up in a pond due to their increase in size, I am really enjoying keeping something smaller and much nicer to look at!
Lou .
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/1/2012 11:00
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #129
Hi and welcome to FK,

I'm afraid 30 litres is too small really for even the three you have, so please don't add any more until you have upgraded to at least a 60 litre tank. Small volumes of water are very unstable and the additional load from even one more fish could tip the balance and cause you to lose them. Additionally, a 30 litre tank doesn't have enough swimming space for WCMM who are quite active little fish.

Likewise, though there are other foods they would enjoy, it would not be advisable in such a small tank due to the risk of pollution from uneaten food and from fresh/frozen foods that would more rapidly increase levels of ammonia. It would be best to keep them on flake until you upgrade as it's easier to ensure they aren't overfed and keep the water cleaner.

HTH
Louscarlet Louscarlet
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 13/1/2012 13:00
Re: White Cloud Mountain minnow #130
Thanks Noodle.
I'll keep my tank as is for the moment then as I would really like to keep the 3 I have for as long as possible. It took so long to get them all settled I can now see why when I tried 4-5 I lost a couple easily. It seems 3 is the limit! I'm mighty glad I ignored the tank 'recommendation' of 6-12 WCMM!
I'll continue to monitor the water and make water changes as needed. With a bit of luck and careful management the 'imaginatively' named One, Two and Three will live for as long as possible.
Thanks again, I'll be sure to pop back if I have any queries/issues.
Lou.